Vista Networking

Windows Vista Business

computerguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Networking
Situation: Small office with a dozen computers. Three different Workgroups. All except one computer running Windows XP. One computer running Windows Vista Small business. All computers in the various workgroups have static ip of 192.168.1.etc. XP computers can see and access only the one workgroup to which they are assigned. However, the Vista computer can see and access all the computers in all the workgroup. How can I change things so the Vista computer can see and access only the other computers in it's specific workgroup? Thanks for any ideas you might hame
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi Computerguy,

if all the WORKGROUPS are differnet then the only other thing I think it might be is the Private/Public Network setting in Vista. In your setup you should have the Network Type set as Private....

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/pho...e.php?n=10&w=l

To the right of the network name and location type, click Customize.

In the Set Network Location dialog box, click Private, and then click Next.

In the Successfully set network settings dialog box, click Close.

regards

Steve

Last edited by Steve : 02-01-2008 at 16:04.

computerguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Vista Workgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi Computerguy,

if all the WORKGROUPS are differnet then the only other thing I think it might be is the Private/Public Network setting in Vista. In your setup you should have the Network Type set as Private....

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/pho...e.php?n=10&w=l

To the right of the network name and location type, click Customize.

In the Set Network Location dialog box, click Private, and then click Next.

In the Successfully set network settings dialog box, click Close.

regards

Steve

Thanks, Steve, for the information. However I already checked the network type and it is shown as "private" and not "public". I should have included that information in my first post. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again. This thing is very perplexing.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi computerguy,

the only other thing i can think of is Network Discovery, see this webpage describing it and how it can be altered.... Enabling Network Discovery in Windows Vista

On the first picture on the page you will see that changes can be made for the Workgroup. This is where you may be able to set settings specific to your workgroup.

Hope this helps,

regards

Steve