Newbie to this forum

Windows Vista Business

mele is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie to this forum
Hi everyone, I am Mele.

I am so glad that I found this forum.
I am hoping that I can get a little help here for my memory problems.
I have listed the below specs on my p.c.

I am running a Vista Business OS Dell with:
  • one physical processor
  • 2 cores
  • 2 logical processors
  • intel pentium D
  • CPU 3.00 Ghz
  • physical memory is 2046 MB total and 778 MB free
  • memory load is 62%
  • virtual memory is 4305 mb total and 1964 mb free
  • disk space on C is 162 GB available, 222 GB total and 162 GB free
  • Memory slots: 4 but slot 1 and sloto 3 have ram now

    I listed the above from - where it is a free site.

    I don't really understand what it all is but I do know that I need more memory esp since I am going to be building a website and want to do it on Dreamweaver. I am constantly getting hung up when trying to surf the web.

    I have 2 slots left. I dont know what type to get and I don't know how to install it. So I would like some feedback on how to solve this ram mystery

    I have a ton of hard drive files too. I was told that I had 80 GB of hard drive but now I think its more according to the above specs?

    The problems I am experiencing is it takes forever to open up a word doc or a new doc. I keep on getting that circle and since I am running a business from home it is taking too much of my time. I think I need 2 GB of ram can anyone confirm that for me please

    Also I am not sure what a dual core processor is even though I was told I have it. Does it add more power to the system?

    I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks
    Mele

Last edited by Steve : 12-30-2007 at 22:03. Reason: site is a parked site only for advertising
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi mele,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

It would do no harm to get some extra RAM. Get as much as you can afford.

How long does it take you to open an ordinary Word Doc?

A Dual Core processor is very good as it can do more than a single core processor.

regards

Steve

mele is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Steve for your reply, I appreciate you getting back to me.

In the meantime I contacted Dell (yes I bit the bullet)...actually got some help. The tek fixed the problem and my docs open up quickly now and I dont get the Microsoft License Agreement asking me to accept or decline every time I want to look at a document. But after I got off the phone with him some of my folders disappeared in my comcast email accounts. Never ending battle it seems.
I will be purchasing ram as soon as I get a minute to order it. I never installed ram so I will need to have someone install in for me unless I can figure out how to do that myself.

Regards
Mele
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi mele,

glad you got sorted.

What is the model of Dell PC you have and I will get you instructions on how to put in more RAM. From the instructions you will know whether you can tackle it yourself,

regards

Steve

mele is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to install ram
Hi Steve,

I have a Dell (32 bit) Pentium (Intel) Dimension Desktop E520.
According to the website: wwwgtopala.com this is what I have:

Memory type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed DDR2-666 (333 MHz)

There are 4 memory slots and I am using two slots currently.
Both slots are using 1024 MBytes for a total of 2048 MBytes
The capacity is 4096 MBytes so I have 2 more max at 1024 MBytes
that I can install on this computer.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks
Mele