Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista cannot see domain computers

Windows Vista Business

Speedup My PC
Old 11-02-2007

drbob4248 is on a distinguished road
Vista cannot see domain computers
Hi all,
I have searched the forums and seen variations of this issue but not this one in particular.

I run a small office network using a server with Windows Server 2003. All of the machines run XP except for two desktops that I just upgraded to Vista Business. The Vista machines are not consistently seeing the rest of the network. The computers joined the domain without difficulty and say that they are part of the domain. However, they will intermittently not be able to see the XP machines and server. They can always see each other. Also, I cannot see the Vista Machines from the server when I browse the network. I have Network Discovery on and File/Print Sharing enabled. Often, when I restart a Vista computer or restart the server, the network will appear but then be absent again the next day. From this, I suspect it may be an IP addressing issue but I am not sure how to address it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007

Steve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant future
Hi Bob,

just a few questions to get a better picture...

Were the 2 PC upgraded from XP Pro?

When you say you cannot see the Server is this always in Network Map? Can you see any Mapped Drives or Printers on the server from Vista?

Can you click Start, right-click Network, and then click Properties and attach a screenshot of the Network and Sharing Centre on the Vista PC's. Thanks.

regards

Steve
Old 11-02-2007

The two machines were replaced. The previous machines were removed from the domain on the server prior to replacement and then the new Vista machines were added. When the machines are not visible, then the only things on the map are the two Vista machines, the network hub, and the internet. Cannot see the network printer either.
I need to research how to take and then post a screenshot and then I will post this.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-02-2007

Steve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant futureSteve has a brilliant future
Bob,

to take a screenshot you select the window you want to show and then hold down the Alt key, keep it pressed and then press the PrtScn button and then release both.

To see if it is a complete disconnection please can you try and see if the server is contactable by clicking Start->Run and enter 2 back slashes followed by the server name or the server IP address, e.g. \\bobserver or \\192.168.1.1

regards

Steve
Old 11-06-2007

Of course, now that I want it to cause trouble, the Vista machines have gone for 4 days without causing trouble. They have seen the network each time. However, the non-Vista machines do not show up on the network map. They appear down at the bottom as unable to be mapped. Steve, I have taken and saved a screen shot, but how do I paste it into the reply window? The paste command is grayed out in the reply box when I try. I uploaded it as an attachment but then I'm not sure what to do.
Bob

Screen Shot.jpg
Old 11-06-2007

Wow. I'm better than I thought. It worked. When the machine doesn't connect, the only difference is that the machines down at the bottom are absent.
Bob
Old 11-06-2007

Hi Bob,
good to hear the connectivity problem is gone

Now to the XP PC's not showing....

Quote:
The heart of the Network Map is a discovery protocol called Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD). This protocol allows Vista systems to query the other devices on the network so it can determine how the network is organized. While Vista does a good job of creating the Network Map, including switches and gateways, it only places computers running Vista — not Windows XP or any other operating system — on the map. The reason for this discrepancy is that LLTD is a new feature in Vista and isn’t present in Windows XP.

To help users deal with this, Microsoft has released the LLTD Responder for Windows XP systems. Once you install the LLTD Responder, it will allow Vista to query Windows XP systems and place them in the appropriate locations on the Network Map.
Download the LLTD Responder for XP from Microsoft and install it on each PC...... Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

and thats it you will now have a nice looking Network Map,

regards

Steve

BTW Bob we have added a Photoplog where you can upload screenshots and use the given URL to paste them into posts... http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/photoplog
Old 11-07-2007

Thanks, Steve.
I am not sure the problem is solved. It is intermittent so time will tell over the next week, though it has been behaving so far this week. I was aware of the LLTD Responder and will get to work on that. Any thoughts, though, on why the Server can't see the Vista workstations?
Old 11-08-2007

Hi Bob,

sorry i didnt get a chance to get back to you sooner..

Can you give me a bit more info on the Server. Is it a Small Business Server version of 2003? Is it fully patched with all the latest updates?

Can you try and Browse the network again, wait, and see if anything pops up in the Event Viewer network related.

Is IPv6 running on either the server or the Vista Machines?

Talk soon,

regards

Steve
Old 11-08-2007

Windows Server 2003 is fully patched.
IPv6 is running on Server 2003 and the Vista machines.
When I try to browse for the networked Vista machines, no event log messages appear (Event Log does not update in real time, so I viewed it, browsed the network, and then reopened Event Log).
When I search the network for computers, the Vista machines will show up, but they don't appear on the list of machines in "Users and Computers".
It's crazy.
Today, the network would not appear on the Vista machines again. I closed and reopened the network window and there they were.
Bob