Print Spooler stopping

Windows Vista Business

Newbie

Location: Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Brad24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Print Spooler stopping
I have recently installed a new Dell Vostro with Vista and Office 2007 onto our office network running Windows Server 2003 Sp2. Unfortunately every attempt to communicate with either printer (Toshiba 165 copier with GA1190 printer kit & HP Laserjet 2600n) causes the Spooler to stop. Even starting the spooler 3 or 4 times during the process enables the test page to print but any further attempt results in the spooler stopping. I have downloaded the latest HP driver for vista to no success. Can anyone help? I'm grey now and getting greyer by the minute
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Brad24,

I am wondering if you put the drivers on the Server? When you go to connect to the printer on the server, the server will look at your OS and try and send down the drivers associated with your OS.

Can you check your Event Viewer to see if there are any error messages pertaining to the Spooler or to the drivers for the printers. If you see any can you post them here and we will see if it is a clue to solving the problem,

regards

Steve
Newbie

Location: Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Brad24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes I have had 48 printer related errors in the Event Viewer, all related to trying to access a printer with the wrong driver. I have had some success however. I removed all printers via Regedit and removed all files in the System32\Spool\drivers\w32x86\3. This seemed to clear the Spooler stopping problem and allowed me to install a local printer. I am enjoying this experience for a day or two before attempting to install a network printer. Thanks for your help
Brad
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Thats great Brad, well sorted.

Installing a Printer on the Server should be just the same as normal.

Do you normally install your own printers on the server?

What server operating system are you using?

regards

Steve
Newbie

Location: Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Brad24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Steve,
I am running Windows Server 2003 with SP2. The two network printers are already installed with XP software for the other 5 computers on the network. Will I need to install them both again a with a different name (indicating Vista Drivers)?
Brad
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Brad,

Mark Valk has a really neat blog entry showing exactly what to do... easy when someone else knows how... Installing Vista Drivers on a Windows 2003 Printer Server « Marc Valk’s Weblog

regards

Steve

astaykov is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VISTA priunt sharing
Hello, I should point that it is not only a driver problem.
You can check out the whole story here:
Anton Staykov's Blog: Network printing with VISTA and XP / print spooler hangs