Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated

Vista Know How

Fortyniner is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi

Could someone, please, help to advise me how to set the sound for the activation and de-activation of Caps Lock. I am completely new to Vista and just trying to find my way around. Any help regarding this query is appreciated.

CliveA is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Activating sounds for keyboard toggle keys
Go to Control Panel >> Ease of Access Center >> Make the keyboard easier to use. There is one box for making the sounds come on.

Fortyniner is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveA View Post
Go to Control Panel >> Ease of Access Center >> Make the keyboard easier to use. There is one box for making the sounds come on.
Fortyniner
Thanks for the advice CliveA, I've already tried to tick the toggle key but without any success. There must be some way to set the sound as in XP but I haven't found it yet. But thanks anyway.
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi,

This is achieved through the 'Ease of Access Center'. To invoke this, click the start orb and type 'Ease of Access Center' into the search box and press enter/return. The main program will appear, giving a list of available options. The following image shows a subset of these options, including the one that we are interested in.
Capture.JPG
This option is 'Make the keyboard easier to use', so click on it and the following screen will appear.
Capture1.JPG
The option you require here is found in the section 'Make it easier to type', and is called 'Turn on Toggle Keys'. If this check box has a tick in it, then those keys will make an audible sound whenever one of them is pressed. Note that you will need to click 'Apply' to activate changes, and 'Save' if you want those changes to be made permanent (or, atleast, until you change them again) when you exit the program.
Dwarf

Fortyniner is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi Dwarf

thanks for taking time out to answer my query, I have tried what you have suggested but there is still no sound when Caps Lock is pressed. Is there, somewhere, a place where the sounds are actually set? I may need to set some kind of sound before the Caps Lock actually is audible. I am completely baffled why others can have a sound without doing anything else but what you have suggested. I may be lucky sometime till then I just have to watch what I'm typing.

Fortyniner
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi,

The only reason that I can think of as to why this isn't working is that your audio driver is either missing or not installed properly. Before we go any further, just check that your speakers are plugged in, turned on with the volume about halfway, and that they are not set to 'mute' in Vista (check the speaker symbol in the system tray). If the drivers are missing, then I should be able to help you with that, but I will need details of your motherboard.
Dwarf

Fortyniner is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi Dwarf

It is really kind of you to offer help. I should have said that I am using a Sony Vaio Laptop and the sound for all other items like Critical Battery level, Start-Up, Shut-Down are all working ok. I have set the Sounds to Windows Default (modified) in the sound field but I could not see, anywhere, the sound associated with the Keyboard and its settings. As I could not set any sound for Caps Lock I'm very careful and watching for the light that shows when the Caps Lock is on. As I am a novice with Vista, and very experienced with XP either, I can only concentrate on one thing at a time.

Thanks for the offer of help,

Fortyniner
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi,

I have had another look at this problem. The audible sound for the toggle keys does NOT come through the normal audio channel, rather it comes from the small piezo speaker that is on the motherboard. Some motherboards, particularly those in laptops, don't have one installed.
Dwarf
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwarf For This Useful Post:

Fortyniner is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Hi Dwarf

I appreciate the time you've spent on this problem but it seems I just have to be very careful when typing.

Regards

Fortyniner

amikew is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sound when "Caps Lock" is activated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Hi,

I have had another look at this problem. The audible sound for the toggle keys does NOT come through the normal audio channel, rather it comes from the small piezo speaker that is on the motherboard. Some motherboards, particularly those in laptops, don't have one installed.
Dwarf
I am having the same problem. I have just bought a Sony Vaio TT with Vista and would like to have a sound when I accidentally press CAPS LOCK (as I have set up with other Windows systems, including Vista). Unfortunately, I am having the same trouble as Fortyniner. I have found the Accessibility area. When I go on to 'Make the Keyboard easier to use' and tick the 'Turn on Toggle keys' box and I press the Apply button, the Save button greys out and only the Cancel button stays highlighted. I would be grateful for advice. Thank you.