No sound

Sound Cards & Speakers

Marky000 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No sound
Hey guys.

I am trying to troubleshoot a sound issue with a Vista Home Basic machine.

I can't really give you all the MOBO specs etc because I am not currently in front of the machine. I can however confirm that it is using a Realtek chipset and is configured using the Realtek Sound Manager software.

I am really just wanting to use basic sound (i.e. just speaker, not 5.1, 7.1 etc).

I am trying to make use of an old stereo system by using a 3.5mm aux jack to dual RCA (white and red) plugs.

I can get sound when I plug the aux jack into the front earphones port but I cannot get sound when I try and use the analogue audio out (lime green) port at the rear of the machine. Vista states that it is working correctly and has a tick next to the speakers but no sound is produced by the speakers.

The MOBO has the following available audio connectors:

Analogue = Mic in (Pink) Audio in (light blue) Audio out (lime green)

Centre Speaker (Orange) Rear Surround (Black) Mid Surround (Grey)

Digital = 1x SPDIF

You may ask at this point, why not just use the front headphones jack? Well, the problem is that it seems to be very sensitive in that Vista keeps reporting that the jack is cycling between a connected and disconnected state.

I also cannot use the SPDIF, as the old stereo only supports aux left and right RCA.

Also, when I try and get one of the rear ports to work, I have made sure that nothing is connected to the sound ports at the front as I know that this can cause problems.

When I plug in the 3.5mm jack into the green port, the Realtek sound manager kicks in and says that "a jack as been connected". I then confirm that I have infact connected the jack to the rear audio out port. I then follow the steps in the wizard but am not able to get sound.

I made sure that I used the most basic settings (i.e. speakers and not 5.1 etc).

I even tried the grey, black and orange ports (even though I know they are used for surround sound setups) and still no luck.

One interesting setting I did notice was that in Winamp, I had to select the "allow mono speaker" setting to have it play sound through the front headphones port.

However, when I was configuring the rear green port in the Realtex Sound Manager software, there was no mono option. There was only stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and some quad....... thing.

Any ideas guys on how to get the rear green port working?

I am wondering if it has something to with a connector on the MOBO. But as I said, Vista and Realtek manager seem to report that all is well.

My thanks in advance.