"no audio output device is installed"

Sound Cards & Speakers

Location: Southwest Ohio
jdwilsonjd is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"no audio output device is installed"
This is a new computer, it came with Vista home premium.

Sound worked fine, but I think my 4 year old managed to uninstall or disable something, because the speaker icon has a nice red X on it, and the Phrase "no audio output device is installed" pops up when I put my cursor on it.

I have tried all the HP supplied tools I can find, and have tried reinstalling the drivers etc., to no avail.

Any ideas?

These forums have always b een the source for my fixes, so I finally decided to actually join!
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi jdwilsonjd,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier

Plesae can you tell me a bit more about your PC.

The make, Model...etc...

What type and version of Sound Card and Driver is installed?

Try RadarSync to tell you if there is a newer driver for your sound card

regards

Steve

Last edited by Steve : 11-20-2007 at 23:42.

Mohammad Rastkar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
You should install a Vista update (Update for Windows Vista (KB929685)).

Download from here:
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Windows6.0-KB929685-x86.msu

Microsoft says for this update:
Install this update to address an issue
that may prevent high-definition audio devices from initializing
after resuming the system from a sleep or hibernation state.
After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Zagn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammad Rastkar View Post
You should install a Vista update (Update for Windows Vista (KB929685)).

Download from here:
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Windows6.0-KB929685-x86.msu

Microsoft says for this update:
Install this update to address an issue
that may prevent high-definition audio devices from initializing
after resuming the system from a sleep or hibernation state.
After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
I have a very difficult situation here according this problem.
I have no audio , i tried to install this update but a window appear saying "The Update doesn't apply to your system".....
I have Windows Vista Business Edition x86 SP1

The odd in my case is that i have 2 installed Vista Business editions in my pc (they are the same). In Vista no1 i have audio only from 1 speaker of two.... and at the Vista no2 i don't have at all audio.....

What is this?????????????? Can anyone explain me?
I tried all known ways to solve the problem (full uninstall the drivers and software and reinstall, recover my Vista , roll back tha system in previous good condition, install of latest updated drivers)
My audio card is REALTEK 5.1 (based on board --> Abit Fatal1ty FP-N9

Mohammad Rastkar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
The update I've provided is for x86 Vista, then it should no problem for you. But you have SP1 then I think you have this update installed (as a part of SP1).

For your problem,
You can try downloading a new version of your device driver and then install that.
Or, consider your sound control panel(or any other related software) and check for settings.
Since you have one speaker up in one win, and two down in another, then it should be a problem in software not a hardware one, so check for a software problem then a hardware one.

You can also try an Ultimate version of Vista or check your your sound device cables and connections.

Another things to consider:
Effect of other hardwares (like Modem).
Or you need another Windows Update too! Microsoft knows!
__________________
MybbHelp.ir - Mybb Persian Help & Support
Iranian-Forum - Download Games and Learn C++ (Farsi)

[...]

Thank you for your reply!
I have installed a new audio card (PCI) and i have the following==>

Vista no1 ==> audio ok (both speakers working)
Vista no2 ==> audio failure - no audio device detected again!!! (this means that the vista itself have serious problem) Thus it's not hardware problem or driver. I think that i need format .

The fact that i cannot repair vista like XP, astonished me!! If i had xp pro , with one repair i would be all right now.
If i new that vista cannot repair themselves like xp with the CD-DVD i would not have phurchased them at all!

Zagn is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasz View Post
hey guys, i think you should installed this audio, or you try take it to technology service to check this problem. Good lucks.
I formatted the machine . I didn't find any solution for this matter. The most possible solutions are :
1. Motherboard problem
2. Vista problem
I don't know but if anyone sometime find the solution please post just to know

Faisal asaad is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagn View Post
I formatted the machine . I didn't find any solution for this matter. The most possible solutions are :
1. Motherboard problem
2. Vista problem
I don't know but if anyone sometime find the solution please post just to know
Look guys, if anything of the above has not worked at all, then switch on your ur updates to automatic, (daily) whenever i format my computer It tells me no output device so I figured out that the updates fix it up for you, if u tried it for at least 4 days then, something is wrong with the hardware.

Louiver is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
I have uninstalled and reinstalled my IDT drivers and still get the same message, but I did notice that when I am installing there is a time when it says "wait while lthe system updates" that the red x goes away and the sound plays. When I reboot the machine to make the installation take effect, it quits again. As long as I keep the computer up, the sound works. Any ideas how to fix it in such a case?
Thanks.

Breda2013 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "no audio output device is installed"
I have Vista Home Premium (factory Installed) on HP Pavilion dv6000 Notebook, I took your advice and tried downloading KB929685 from both the UK and US Microsoft Update sites and in both cases I got a message saying this update does not apply to your system, so I don't know where I go from here, still no Audio Output Device and no sound contollers showing up in Device Manager???