Can't restart print spooler

Software Problems

nogginhead is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't restart print spooler
Hello, folks--

My print spooler stopped. I tried restarting via Computer Management Services, but a few seconds after I click "start" the status changes back to "stopped."

I also tried using the info steps 15-17 here (I have a Lexmark printer), but when I do this I get:
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

I also tried to go into c:\Windows\System32\spool\printers from the command prompt, was denied access.

I am logged into the Admin account. What do I do to get access?

TIA!

chrisgayle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Can't restart print spooler
To start the spooler services, follow these steps.
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
3. Double-click the Printer Spooler service, and then change the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.
4. If you want to start the spooler service immediately, click the Start button under the Service Status field.
if still error persists then, download the latest copy of your printer’s software from the manufacturer and reinstall it.
__________________
USB hard drive | Private cloud

LauraArnold is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't restart print spooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris***le View Post
To start the spooler services, follow these steps.
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
3. Double-click the Printer Spooler service, and then change the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.
4. If you want to start the spooler service immediately, click the Start button under the Service Status field.
if still error persists then, download the latest copy of your printer’s software from the manufacturer and reinstall it.
I cleaned out ALL printer drivers with the utility. I verified the latest
drivers from HP and downloaded and installed those. (The HP OfficeJet 7410
was 376 Mb....). I then sequentially reloaded the 3 HP drivers one at a time,
rebooting between each. I then unloaded and reloaded Adobe Acrobat Pro to
the CS3 Suite and Nuance's Paperport v11 (they have a proprietary PDF
driver). It appears that solved the mysterious and vexing inability to print
problem (8 hours of reloading). Thank you for the brialliant help!

Unfortunately now i have another equally vexing problem. As soon as i
unloaded the Adobe Acrobat and reloaded, I started getting the "Generic Host
Process for Win32 Services" error at logon and for maybe 2 instances after
trying to close it. After loading the Paperport 11, now i get a persistent
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error that will not go away (I
close it, it sends an error reprort to Microsoft, it reopens, I close it,
etc. endlessly.....).