Sidebar-Blues

Software Problems

Enrico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidebar-Blues
Hi folks,

at first several days ago my Vista calendar suddenly refused to show date and month - instead I had to admire its orange cover. After many futile trials to open it, I eventually downloaded - instead of this big orange - the new (french) gadget "calendrier". But with bad effects...

Now my sidebar presents nothing more than the two Vista elements "clock" and "notices". And I get the accompanying information that the sidebar installation is disturbed. In addition the sidebar gadgets gallery has become inaccessible for new uploads. (I noticed this additional calamity when I tried to replace the suspect "calendrier".)

Has perhaps anybody a hint how I could untie the deplorable situation?

Thanks for your help
Enrico

Location: Cumbria UK
Bootlebarth is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sidebar-Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post
Hi folks,

at first several days ago my Vista calendar suddenly refused to show date and month - instead I had to admire its orange cover. After many futile trials to open it, I eventually downloaded - instead of this big orange - the new (french) gadget "calendrier". But with bad effects...

Now my sidebar presents nothing more than the two Vista elements "clock" and "notices". And I get the accompanying information that the sidebar installation is disturbed. In addition the sidebar gadgets gallery has become inaccessible for new uploads. (I noticed this additional calamity when I tried to replace the suspect "calendrier".)

Has perhaps anybody a hint how I could untie the deplorable situation?

Thanks for your help
Enrico
Yes I can offer a sort of fix in two prongs.
a) use ccleaner to fix the registry
b) put a short cut to Windows Sidebar on your desktop

Then when you get the orange cover do the following

exit the sidebar using the tray icon and click on your desktop shortcut to open a new sidebar. This often works.
If that fails clean the reistry with CCleaner and repeat the above this fixes it most times.

I have never got to the bottom of the issue but it is related to some clunky use of the registry by those who should know better - Redmond perchance?

Enrico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sidebar-Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlebarth View Post
Yes I can offer a sort of fix in two prongs.
a) use ccleaner to fix the registry
b) put a short cut to Windows Sidebar on your desktop

Then when you get the orange cover do the following

exit the sidebar using the tray icon and click on your desktop shortcut to open a new sidebar. This often works.
If that fails clean the reistry with CCleaner and repeat the above this fixes it most times.

I have never got to the bottom of the issue but it is related to some clunky use of the registry by those who should know better - Redmond perchance?
Hi Bootlebarth,

I'm not instructed enough to know what means your proposal to put a "shortcut to the desktop". Could you perhaps explain it in a shortcut way?

I agree generally with your opinion that the Win Vista calendar is not solidly embedded in the registry - in net excursions I've met repeatedly complaints about bad functioning of this app. So the sidebar blues is only one chorus in the Big Redmond Opera.

Thanks and regards
Enriico

Location: Cumbria UK
Bootlebarth is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sidebar-Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post
Hi Bootlebarth,

I'm not instructed enough to know what means your proposal to put a "shortcut to the desktop". Could you perhaps explain it in a shortcut way?

I agree generally with your opinion that the Win Vista calendar is not solidly embedded in the registry - in net excursions I've met repeatedly complaints about bad functioning of this app. So the sidebar blues is only one chorus in the Big Redmond Opera.

Thanks and regards
Enriico
Translation issue I suspect Enriico

"Shortcut on desktop" is just that a short way to start the program. To create it go to the programs folder "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar" right click on the sidebar.exe file then cursor down to "send to" and in the sub menu click Desktop. This will produce an icon on your desktop that you can use to start sidebar. You can always just go to the programs folder and click on sidebar.exe but the shortcut will save you a bit of time.

I'm sure you know how to do that.

Enrico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sidebar-Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlebarth View Post
Translation issue I suspect Enriico

"Shortcut on desktop" is just that a short way to start the program. To create it go to the programs folder "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar" right click on the sidebar.exe file then cursor down to "send to" and in the sub menu click Desktop. This will produce an icon on your desktop that you can use to start sidebar. You can always just go to the programs folder and click on sidebar.exe but the shortcut will save you a bit of time.

I'm sure you know how to do that.

Dear Bootlebarth,

thank you for your explication, it's a simple and grand way for direct access.

Regards
Enrico