Vista reinstating every night

Software Problems

billb70 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista reinstating every night
Hi
My machine a dell inspiron with vista home premium installed has taken to reinstating itself each night. If I load a program or save any files, they are gone the next day including updates. I Have now turned off updating and told it not to restart and am hoping this may help. I am stuck in groundhog day!!! Can anyone suggest what might be the problem here?

Chetty is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Vista reinstating every night
Do you mean that the system is restoring every night automatically?

billb70 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista reinstating every night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetty View Post
Do you mean that the system is restoring every night automatically?
I stopped the computer running updates at night and that stopped the reboot every night and the progams I install stay there. However, it is the rebooting that wipes everything out and puts it back to a previous time without being told too. If I install a program that needs you to reboot, when I do that the program is gone !!

One of my friends suggested that the back up battery may be running out, don't know if that would cause this though.

Chetty is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Vista reinstating every night
Well, I am no computer wiz... but I can tell you how I would go about it, being a do-it-yourself sort of guy. Is everything else working fine except for this problem. I don't think it is a battery issue but you can have it checked anyway and obviously you won't be able to use a laptop that is never restarted.

Do you have a good security software that is up-to-date and running? Run a thorough full scan with it. After that, run Superantispyware (Free) portable followed by MBAM (free but no portable version) . Personally I would suggest KIS / Norton 11(not any previous version) as your protector. However, have only ONE software that gives overall real-time protection.

After confirming that nothing vicious is running, you can remove all but the one internet security software of your choice.

If the trouble started recently, did you try to restore it to a date prior to the date of start of problem? If that does not work, try running sfc /scannow to repair/restore the protected system files. If that also does not work you can try repair of vista using the original dvd media of the installed OS. If that too fails maybe it is worth doing a clean install of vista after backing up all your personal files, considering that it is a computer that does not allow you to reboot!
Please post your progress. All the best!

Johndoe234 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista reinstating every night
Did you delete the infcache.1 file, Are you performing a normal or recycled backup?

outsourcing Ukraine