"Roaming" 0 bytes?

Software Problems

Perfectly_Sane:D's Avatar

Location: From that place...
Perfectly_Sane:D is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Roaming" 0 bytes?
Hey everybody,

I'm new to this site. I came across a bizarre problem with my computer yesterday(I run Vista Ultimate and have rarely ever had any problems) and I was hoping you guys could help. It's a long story, so I'll try to keep it short and sweet. It's been a long, frustrating 4+ hours that I've been messing with this and I just want it fixed.

Windows Update may or may not be at fault for the fact that after I told it to install updates and shut down two days ago, yesterday when I booted it up, the task bar was "classic" style-that is, grey and squared off like old Windows 98-and the gadget bar on the right side of the screen had a grey/white background; just for the gadget strip, mind you. Everything else seemed to be normal and my anti-virus and all other task tray items were conducting business as usual. The only thing that could point out that any actual error had taken place was a message in a speech bubble from a gold lock that popped up in the systray: "Failed to connect to a Windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents liimited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond." After messing around with it for a while, and viewing the entirely unhelpful(not to mention a little hard to find) "Event Log", I searched online. Retro task bar aside, it seemed to be a fairly common problem. The only fix that everyone resported to be successful was to run cmd.exe and input "netsh winsock reset". Granted, I have no idea what "winsock" is, and I probably should never do things when I don't know exactly what they do, but...it seemed to solve the problem.
Or maybe it just created another one. I did nothing else after seemingly fixing this problem yesterday. Today I boot it up and everything is normal, as expected. Until I go to run a game(The Sims 2, if it matters, which has always run perfectly with no errors). I select "play" and instead of the game starting up, windows pops up a box that lets me know that it is attempting to delete "1 item", which it identifies as "C:/users/owner/AppData/Roaming". It also states that this "file" is 0 bytes. It won't delete a file that is supposedly 0 bytes(which, "Roaming" is a whole folder, so it couldn't possibly be 0 bytes, yes? It was a hidden folder until I changed my folder options to check it out.) so it just sits there, attempting but unable to delete the "file". So I end up having to use task manager to close it. I tried the game again, same result. All my anti-virus/spyware/malware detects nothing, I just finished the scans. What's going on here?

If any of you have a solution or even just a wild guess, I'd be happy to hear it. I'm very open at this point.

EDIT: Well, I let Vista do more updates that night and something must have fixed it because there is no longer a problem. Yay!

Last edited by Perfectly_Sane:D : 09-20-2010 at 18:28.