Bootmgr killed by Thinkpad Rescue & Recovery

Software Problems

Thinkdisadvantage is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bootmgr killed by Thinkpad Rescue & Recovery
TIA, it seems to be a hard problem I'm sitting on it since one Week and allthough I found many bits and pieces of information i seem to be missing something. I also want to apologize for my bad english...

1. what happend?

I tried to recover an older Rescue of my Vista Business via RnR (i didn't wanted to wait for an answer to my Question @ Lenovo Forum) so i just wanted to set back the computer thinking it might run faster again...

So i started the recovery, it rebooted into the thinkvantage RnR Boot mode where it began to recover but stopped after 1 Minute at 0% recovery and didn't get any further in the next Day(with CPU and HDD idling all the time), as ther was no option to stop it and no settings or something i thought it wouldn't do anything at all anymore and switched it off by force...

... restart: Bootmgr is missing press Ctrl + Alt + Del to reboot

2. first analysis:

i can get into Bios, i can boot from the CD, i cannot enter the Thinkpad OS (via pressing the Thinkvantage Button on startup) and i can't run Windows

3. Googlin' around

i found this Artikle from howtogeek, followed the instruction downloaded the recovery CD, was able to boot from it and tryed to follow the Guide, but on the 4th Picture it didn't show my installed Windows looked around further and further and found:

the EasyBCD site
trying it out I had success with the Nuclear Holocaust way, so I now atleast can find my Windows in the recovery tool, but still the System-startup-repair was detecting my error but unable to fix it (Error: Botmanager doesn't exist or is damaged; Tried to fix the file with Filerepair; Conclusion Error. Errorcode = 0x2)

I even found this lenovo programm, to maybe retrieve something, but my laptop just doesn't have any Floppy drive (got there from this usefull topic, i'll try the rapidshare file there next)

4. Conclusion

- maybe I'm pulling at the wrong end of the rope (bootsectexe-modifies-the-bootsector-not-the-mbr)

- maybe this guy is right and RnR from the thinkpad just wipes your boot files so there is to much damage to fix it

Should I try to
a) secure as many Files as possible? (booting with Knoppix(Live Linux Filesystem on Bootable CD) and copying) (maybe any better ideas?) and then put everything back up (i think i would seariously need my saved passwords and websites from FF and many other files too...)
b) try to somehow get the RnR from the thinkpad to run again, so it might completely reset the PC to it's former state (No Idea how to do it)
c) I read somewhere you can launch your installed Vista in safety-mode with a propper CD/DVD, even without the Bootmgr, has anyone Experience with that?

Any help is wanted, as i want to fix this in the next like 2 Days, i'll ceartainly look here often, so feel free to reply any Ideas...

John (Alias Thinkdisadvantage)