Formating and Re-installing Vista

Software Problems

runeslaya is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Formating and Re-installing Vista
Hey everyone,
I have had vista for quiet a while now and i want to format and re-install my windows vista with the cd. However when i go to do it, i create a new version of of windows but the old one is still there so when i logg on to my comp it asks me which one i would like to go into.
I would be delighted if anyone could tell me or lead me to a site that could show me the steps of re-installing vista because i really need to fix my computer. Also i have the vista upgrade Cd, would that make any difference to it or does it matter?

Thanks,
Stefan
Gurra's Avatar

Gurra is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Formating and Re-installing Vista
Hi,
The standard Vista install CD has a partition manager that lets you remove existing partitions and format the disk. I have no experience with the vista upgrade CD but I guess it requires an existing windows install in order to work. I am not sure if it is able to use an older Windows install CD in place of an existing windows install during the install process. Rather than erasing the contents of your primary disk and possibly ending up with no operating system, you could try the following:
- disconnect your primary hard disk
- connect a spare hard disk in its place
- install vista from the upgrade CD.
If it prompts for an older windows install cd and installs successfully, you could put back your primary hard disk, delete the partition(s) from your windows disk manager (or a third party disk manager) and reinstall Vista on it.
If it fails, you can always edit your boot.ini file (hidden file in the root of your boot drive) and remove the operating system(s) you don't want from the boot menu. You should then be able to manually delete any unwanted operating system files from your hard drive. If you want to go down that route you do need to know what you are doing or you will render your system unbootable. I can show you how to do it.
/Gurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeslaya View Post