Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

problem with windows vista wireless connections

Software Problems

Speedup My PC
Old 12-23-2009

srinugs is on a distinguished road
problem with windows vista wireless connections
i am using windows vista home premium.i was not able to connect my system to wireless network in my college.i am using dell studio 1535.even though the wireless adapter is detecting the network of my college i was not able to connect to it. it shows the error message "windows cannot connect to "name of the network"".
when i try to diagnose the problem i was getting two error messages namely

1. may the signal strength is very weak
2. try connecting to a different network

but the signal strength is quite strong and it shows "excellent".

i have tried all the possible means updating the drivers, reinstalling the operating system,resetting the bios .
all my friends using the same model of pc and all other models were able to connect very easily. i am facing this issue since few days . (previously i was able to connect to this network using this laptop only. due to some reasons i need to format and after formatting i was not able to connect to wireless network even if it gets detected)
i called the dell technical support but they suggested me to delete all the partitions and then format the PC. as i have a single partition in my PC when it was first purchased from dell . i myself temporarily created two more partitions to protect data. is this the reason?? i have a lot of important data in my PC i need to back up all the data. its very tough for me. is this the right solution.should i delete all the partitions and format it?? plzzzzzzz help me solve this issue as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009

pingilvi is on a distinguished road
Re: problem with windows vista wireless connections
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinugs View Post
i am using windows vista home premium.i was not able to connect my system to wireless network in my college.i am using dell studio 1535.even though the wireless adapter is detecting the network of my college i was not able to connect to it. it shows the error message "windows cannot connect to "name of the network"".

i have tried all the possible means updating the drivers, reinstalling the operating system,resetting the bios .
all my friends using the same model of pc and all other models were able to connect very easily. i am facing this issue since few days . (previously i was able to connect to this network using this laptop only. due to some reasons i need to format and after formatting i was not able to connect to wireless network even if it gets detected)
i called the dell technical support but they suggested me to delete all the partitions and then format the PC. as i have a single partition in my PC when it was first purchased from dell . i myself temporarily created two more partitions to protect data. is this the reason?? i have a lot of important data in my PC i need to back up all the data. its very tough for me. is this the right solution.should i delete all the partitions and format it?? plzzzzzzz help me solve this issue as soon as possible.
congratulations guys, awesome work.
I look forward to seeing what you do in the next challenge.
Old 01-05-2010

Gurra is on a distinguished road
Re: problem with windows vista wireless connections
Those Dells either come with Dell (Broadcom) Wifi or Intel Wifi. Assuming you have Dell Wifi, start the Dell wireless manager and check if you have a profile for the college network. Edit the profile and ensure the settings match those of the college network. I suggest you compare them with those of a working laptop or ask an IT person for the correct settings.
If you have Intel Wifi, just run Intel Proset instead of the dell wireless manager. If Vista is managing wifi, you can change the corresponding Vista wireless profile, though personally I prefer to manage wifi using the card vendors manager.
/Gurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinugs View Post