Windows wont' boot

Software Problems

Flebberflep is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows wont' boot
Hello.

This most likely happened after I installed a windows update. When I start my computer it runs the POST test, and everything is fine. however, when it gets to selecting my boot devices, the POST hangs with just a flashing cursor on the screen. No matter how long I leave it, the post doesn't start up my harddrive's installed vista.

If I insert my original vista DVD, then I can boot from that, but the cursor hangs again if I leave it long enough to try and boot from the harddisk. So, I went to use the repair tools on the DVD. I tried start up repair, since that seemed most likely to be causing problems, but when it finished it said there were no problems to fix.

Following this news, I tried a system restore and set the computer back before I installed the updates, after my last successful start up. This didn't work either, cursor still hanging.

I have checked my bios settings, checked my harddrives are connected properly (this is the second time it's happened, after a re-install of vista) checked my boot list, main hardrive etc. but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyway to make windows boot up?

Flebberflep is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows wont' boot
I have found a possible solution. I'll post it here for anyone else having the problem should it work.

Still, if anyone else has a solution to this problem, I would love to hear it.

Flebberflep is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows wont' boot
Alright, here's the solution.

Insert your Windows Vista disk into your DVD drive and boot from the DVD.

when the first window pops up, select your language settings and click next. In the next window, select the repair option on the bottom left.

select the installation of windows you want to repair (you may only have one, but if you have more the disk that contains it is displayed next to it, recognizable by size) and click next. When you gain access to the repair tools, open the command prompt.

In the command prompt, type 'bootrec.exe' without the quotes. This will make a number of commands appear, and beneath another prompt will start. In the prompt, type in 'bootrec /FixBoot', and wait for the operation to complete. Restart the computer, and windows should start up!

for further details, and other fixes, see the microsoft help page on the subject here How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista