Windows updated, now computer won't load up!?!

Software Problems

Sjac is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Windows updated, now computer won't load up!?!
Hi there, my name is Sam. I hope someone out there can please give me some help

I am running Windows Vista 64bit edition on an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard, Intel Q9540 2.66gz Quadcore processor with 4gb RAM. (Please let me know if any more info is required)
My system has been running fine for the last year and just last night (27th June 2009) windows told me there were 3 updates that should be installed.
I only noticed one of the update names which was Internet Explorer 8, the other 2 were security updates or something - really not sure though. The total of the downloaded updates was around 280mb.

Anyway... So I started installing the updates and walked away. When I came back there was a Terms & Agreement box for Internet Explorer 8 which I agreed to. Once that finished it came back to my desktop and said "windows needs to restart to configure the updates, please restart now."
I was heading out for the night so I decided to just switch it off rather then restarting it. When I switched it back on this morning it gets to the part where the loading bar at the bottom of the screen for Vista appears, that moves for a little bit but then instead of loading Vista, the computer switches itself off then restarts again.
This time it comes up with the "Windows was closed incorrectly please select an option - Safe mode, Safe mode with network, Last know good configuration or start windows normally."
I selected "start normally" to see if it would just fix itself but done the same thing again. I went through each option including the safe mode and last known good configuration and after loading the files for the option it switched itself off and done the same thing again.
So.. I figure maybe I need to repair windows. I insert the original Vista that is installed on my system into the DVD drive, restart and hit a button when it says "hit any button to boot from DVD". It has a blank screen for a few seconds then just shuts down and reboots again.

Failing the only 2 options for recovery I am sure about I had a little hunt around BIOS but couldn't find anything that could help me. Except this ASUS Splash Page which is allowing me to access the internet via the motherboard (just a feature of my motherboard)

If anyone has encountered this problem and knows how to fix it or if anyone has any other ideas I can try it would be greatly appreciated. I am at a total loss of what else to do.

I hope to hear from you soon

Kind Regards
Sam

Last edited by Sjac : 06-29-2009 at 03:31.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sjac For This Useful Post: