explorer.exe x2 and svchost.exe x 16

Software Problems

BMXer Dan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
explorer.exe x2 and svchost.exe x 16
Right, first of all, sorry if this has been posted before or in the wrong section

To start off my machine is:

Acer Aspire 5630 Laptop,
T5500 Intel Core2 Duo Processor 1.66GHz,
2G Ram,
Windows Vista Home Premium x32 (Service Pack 1)

I dont know whats wrong or if its normal with Vista but when nothing else is running there will be just the one explorer.exe...

But, if i open say My Documents or My Computer to open a file a second explorer.exe decides to show up in task manager and is slightly larger in size compared to the original one.

The first one currently sits there at roughly about 11,500k
When the second one comes along its about 15,000k in size and the window takes about 2-4 seconds to load/display folders etc sometimes longer. It also becomes larger every window you open resulting in slower load times.

From the task manager, if i close the smaller of the two explorer.exe's naturally the whole task bar at the bottom closes and you can't access the start menu etc.
But, if i close the other, slightly larger explorer.exe, it just closes that window.

I have run several anti-virus scans, spyware scans etc and have all returned nothing, so i am assuming that it might be somehting that has slipped through my scanners un-seen unless this is normal behaviour that i have not noticed before.

Also lately my CPU usage had been fluxuating a lot between 0% and 20% when no windows are open, it can also shoot up to between 80% - 90% when opening a window and will then resume its fluxuating idle state until i open or close another window or file.

If i click "Show process from all users" in the task manager another problem i see that might be related or compleetly seperate is displayed.

I have 16 svchost.exe's, yes thats right, 16.... (screenshot available) they all range in size the largest being roughly 50,000k and the smallest being 200k. This can't be normal?

I have included two screenshots of my task manager just for visual aid of the explorer.exe problem and a screenshot of the svchost.exe problem.

Thanks in advance for any help

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one explorer.jpg (31.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg two explorer.jpg (31.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg svchost.jpg (32.9 KB, 1 views)
pro_newbie888's Avatar

Location: Indonesia
pro_newbie888 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: explorer.exe x2 and svchost.exe x 16
It's possible if you have svchost.exe running more than 1, cause each svchost.exe has different task, and all of them are important.
I have 13 processes of svchost.exe
You can see what is it working on by seeing it's PID.

But, it's impossible if you have more than 1 explorer.exe proces.
I haven't heard about it.

What antivirus you're using ?
No one good, and no one bad.
We're here together to learn and share.

NOTE = Sorry for my bad english languages.