Desktop Icons move after save

Software Problems

PoolSharkAJM's Avatar

PoolSharkAJM is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Desktop Icons move after save
When I have a MS Word document saved to my desktop, it tends to be moved after I open it and resave. I think it may have something to do with the temp file it sometimes creates while the document is open to prevent data loss. This is really starting to annoy me as I keep having to move it back where I want it, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-Andy

Last edited by PoolSharkAJM : 03-05-2009 at 17:26.

Highsnows is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
Andy,

I don't know the answer but I have almost the same problem, I have a Excel document saved to the desktop and when I open and save it then close it out it moves. For me this happens with any Excel documents saved directly to the desktop. It doesn't occur with my MS word documents that are saved to the desktop. Also, If I don't hit the save button and close it out it doesn't move. In other words I have to hit the save button, close out the document before it moves. Sounds very similiar to your problem. I only mention this to add information to the problem. Wish I had the answer. It has only recently started doing this and I can't think of anything I've changed other then the windows automatic updates.

Lazarus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
I have precisely the same problem in MS Word and in PowerPoint -- I'm a minimal Excel user.

If I open a document and don't modify it, then close it, the icon stays in its proper place on the desktop. If I modify the document and save it, the icon moves to the farthest left column of icons that it can reach where there's still a space for it. Very annoying.

I've always had this issue, though, right from the first installation of Office 2007 ... updates haven't changed anything for me,

For me this has been an Office-specific issue -- other programs don't seem to be misbehaving this way. Perhaps we should take it up on an Office forum?

Or are other Vista users having problems with other program icons, too?

Lazarus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
Also discovered that my MS-Money icon does the same thing: if I modify the file, the icon is moved from where it is on the right side of my desktop, as far over to the left side as the columns will allow. Must be a Windoze problem.

I was hoping to keep Vista and avoid running over to Windoze 7 ... maybe i won't have a choice ...in light of this and the other problems that have recently cropped up with it.

Lazarus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
And installing SP2 has NOT helped. Still the same.

sdoxas is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
I got a fix for the "moving icons issue".

I have only had this problem with MS Office 2003/2007. When I modify any Office file, it creates a "hidden" temporary file with a ~. That ~ file frequently assumes the position of the corresponding icon and sends that icon to the Left side of the desktop.
To stop those ~ from showing up, go to Control Panel, Folder Options, View Tab, and select "Do not show hidden files and folders" under Hidden Files and Folders.
I have not had this problem since changing this setting.

Lemme know if this works for you.

sdoxas is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
Alright, the above fix did not work after all.
BUT! I was able to isolate the problem to one specific instance: The desktop icon only moves to the left when I modify that file, try to close it without saving, and incur the prompt asking me if I would like to save changes made to the file.
A ~WRL000... file always takes the desktop space of the file I am modifying, "bumping" that file to the left side of the desktop.

Lazarus is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoxas View Post
Alright, the above fix did not work after all.
BUT! I was able to isolate the problem to one specific instance: The desktop icon only moves to the left when I modify that file, try to close it without saving, and incur the prompt asking me if I would like to save changes made to the file.
A ~WRL000... file always takes the desktop space of the file I am modifying, "bumping" that file to the left side of the desktop.
Previous editions of MS-Word running on older versions of Windoze all created the ~WRL ... temporary documents -- there were actually two hidden files running at the same time: the temporary file which was being modified, and the most recent saved version, which would be modified upon save and close. In the older versions, which worked properly, one file was located at the original desktop location, and the temporary one was moved to the left of the screen. When one modified the file and saved it, the temporary file was closed and the saved version was properly back in its original desktop location.

In this problematic combination (Office 2007 on Vista 64 with all updates) the files are misplaced: the saved file is moved to the left, and the temporary file is placed in the original location -- and deleted upon closure, of course -- so that the only file left is the saved one -- in the desktop location where the temporary file is supposed to go.

This is child's play, it's easy to see what happened. Why they changed the code, and why the hell Microsoft is dragging its collective feet to fix it is beyond me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lazarus For This Useful Post:

sdoxas is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
That sheds a lot of light on the problem.
I'm running Office 2007 on Vista 32 bit. I'm upgrading to Win 7 64 bit soon (woohoo student discount!). I'll let you all know if this is still a problem.

sdoxas is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Desktop Icons move after save
I clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit... and the icons still move after a save. Good times.