CHKDSK scan problem

Software Problems

c.abeja is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CHKDSK scan problem
CHECK DISK scans, Recovery Partition, and VOLUME SHADOW COPY service

Had a bit of a disaster last year trying to unsuccessfully get hold of some critical Windows Updates.. Had ongoing support from Microsoft but was getting nowhere. Then found some more manufacturers updates for my Sony VAIO and installed them. Disaster -I think it was tied up with some other activity at the time when went to reboot after getting updates, but anyway computer would not reboot. The “OS could not be found”. Computer took itself into the recovery mode and recovered itself from the recovery partition.
Also, I seem to recall possibly getting some brief message about something, possibly, not having gone right at the end of the recovery. It only flashed up briefly, & unexpectedly, at the end of one of the last stage of the process & I cannot remember the details.
Nothing seemed to be wrong, so went ahead and started to reinstall stuff. Then I found that the order of permissions on my plug-ins folder was incorrect which made me think to do CHECK DISK scans. (I do this via the right click on main drive> properties> tools> check disk route).

I discovered that "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" would not complete unless the computer was in safe mode. In ordinary mode it would get stuck when scanning free clusters. If I waited and just left things the computer would eventually restart with a blue screen.
The blue screen mentioned DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.
TECHNICAL INFO:
*** stop: 0x00000009F (0x00000003, 0x8479A030, 0x 81547B0,0X84A43C78
Guess this was complicated by computer trying to go to sleep when stuck in the scan.

Sony Support said to do a recovery again, which I did.
Same problems again afterwards, though recovery in itself appeared to go OK.

However, I had wondered if the reason why the CHKDSK scan for “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” was not completing was related to the Recovery Partition . The scan had been completing in Safe Mode and the report had said

“Free space verification is complete.
The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows found problems with the file system .”
I wondered if the problem was related to the Recovery Partition.

Well to cut a long story short I have run a selective start up. I finally discovered that the problem is associated with the VOLUME SHADOW COPY service.
With only the VOLUME SHADOW COPY service disabled I managed to successfully complete a check disk scan of “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” .

So what does this mean ?

Is there a problem with the Recovery Partition that was perhaps occurred with the disaster just pre the first system recovery ?
Or
Does it just mean that CHECK DISK scans cannot handle the Recovery Partition ?
Anyone out there tried CHECK DISK scan who has a Recovery Partition ?

(Since having completed the investigations and scans with Selective Start-up and having now returned to normal start up I am getting a window on starting up to say that (Vaio) “Marketing Tools” has stopped working. I'm not to upset about that, but I'm wondering why it has occurred, and if it has any significance.)

My OS is Vista Ultimate SP1.
My computer is a Sony vaio VGN-AR71ZU CEK

I have written about all of this in more detail in another forum, although I now think this might be the more appropriate forum.
See:
post recovery disk scan not completing - Windows Software

The following is a little supplemental info.

When I looked in Event Viewer I found and still find a couple of reoccurring errors

Log Name: Application
Source: VzCdbSvc
Event ID 7

and

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider

Also one in event viewer Event ID 7000 that “The Parallel Port Driver Service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.”

jamaicaninuk is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: CHKDSK scan problem
I recently had to correct a similar problem to the one you expressed earlier. The symptoms may be a bit different but i think this will solve your problem.

Please remove the Mcafee Anti-virus software that came as a part of your system purchase, for some reason its presence seems to aggravate every problem that i have encountered on Sony Vaio VGNs. You can replace it with a cost effective solution that actually works and doesn't do much to slow the performance of your computer, such as ESET Nod32.

The marketing tools software that seems to be giving you the error comes as default with your Sony Vaio. You can remove this software by going to Programs in control panel and scrolling down in your list until you see the "Marketing Tools" software. To verify the existence of the file that is generating the error, you can go to "c:Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Sony_NSCE\" (username should be replaced with the name of the current user folder).

after uninstalling these two items, Mcafee and Marketing tools, the computer should not have any of the previous symptoms you made reference to.

c.abeja is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: CHKDSK scan problem
Thanks for the reply. After months of support SONY cam out with a SATA driver update which solved the problem.
(My pc had Norton- I use ESET so no way Norton was going to stay. Also Marketing Tools a bit of rubbish that needed binning !
(See we have similar tastes in software )
Anyway, things OK. I forgot to get back here & say outcome- whoops.