Microsoft Office problems on Vista

Software Problems

aznemesis is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Microsoft Office problems on Vista
I have spent the past 2 hours or so troubleshooting a problem with Office on a Vista machine. The person I'm helping used to have Office 2003. At some point, she was unable to open any Office app. When she started it, it immediately crashed. It would go through a little troubleshooting song-and-dance, then tell her she was out of luck. So, she downloaded a trial version of 2007 to see if it made any difference. She's still experiencing the same problem. So, she finally decided to get in touch with us.

I tried to run the Office Diagnostics program. The only error it comes back with is the following:

"Windows cannot install the Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver kernel-mode printer driver. To obtain a driver that is compatible with the version of Windows you are running, contact the manufacturer."

Now, this makes no sense. Microsoft is the manufacturer of "Microsoft OneNote" (funny, that). All of my attempts to try to find, download and install that driver have met with failure. All Microsoft's site says is that the driver is installed when you install OneNote. Well, either it's not always installed or Microsoft can't find its own driver on the system. I don't know if this is the underlying cause of the problem, but that error has popped up several times; it seemed like a good possibility to pursue after Office Diagnostics failed to correct the problem.

I've tried to resolve the issue in other ways, too. Microsoft recommended a series of Registry edits. I went through all of them, but none of them did the trick. They also recommended that I try renaming the Normal.dot file. I tried that, as well, without any luck.

I even tried to unistall OneNote completely to see if that would help. I opened Add/Remove Programs, highlighted Office, and clicked "Change." I selected OneNote, and followed the prompts. Not only did it not uninstall OneNote, but afterwards, the uninstaller wouldn't even run anymore. It kept saying that Office was not installed on the system.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the problem, or even ideas about where I can look for solutions? I'd really appreciate it.

kingofdcp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Microsoft Office problems on Vista
i think first remove ur printer, second repair win then reinstall office, maybe try it
Hardware & Tools