AVG 8 conflict with Vista Biz

Software Problems

shangreville is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AVG 8 conflict with Vista Biz
I have a Vaio with 4 GB RAM, a T7700 2.4 GHz chip and Vista Business with SP1. I had AVG 7.5 and everything worked fine.

I clicked on AVG 8.0 button in the AVG 7.5 program and downloaded and installed AVG 8.0. In the process of installing 8.0, the program claimed it would uninstall AVG 7.5 (which I found out later from the programs function in control panel, it did not).

Problem 1) Windows refused to load after AVG 8 install
I then rebooted and the windows load stopped, with a box: "An unauthorized change was made to Windows. I had two choices: learn more online or close. If I clicked on close, it initially sent me back to the login screen. If I click on one of the buttons, windows would start then stop and give me "An unauthorized change ..." again. I could shut the machine down from the login screen, but when I booted up again, I got the same "An unauthorized change ...". I rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled 8.0 and Windows loaded, but a warning box would come up "Could not initialize AVG Anti-virus kernel interface."

Problem 2) Microsoft Outlook looks for AVG ghost files
When I used Microsoft Outlook, it would bring up a box saying it was looking for a AVG .dll file. This would happen when I clicked on each email, if I had preview on, or when I opened an email if I had preview off. As I said, Windows thinks 7.5 is still in the system, but I cannot uninstall it because the AVG 8 install deleted most of the files. I try to uninstall and get “ installer initialization failed due to following error: Error: Initialization of the language file “C:\ProgramFiles|Grisoft|AVG7” failed. General failure.”

I cannot unload the AVG 7.5 add-in from Outlook because it is not listed in Outlook add-in list. I have unchecked the AVG Int Sec box in startup tab of msconfig, but it neither helped with the AVG 8.0 conflict with Windows Vista nor with the AVG 7.5 remnants conflict with MS outlook.

Obviously, I need a functioning antivirus program. AVG is supposed to be less of a drag on the system than Symantec, but Grisoft claims it will stop supporting AVG 7.5 after the end of this year, assuming I could get it correctly installed after all the crap going on. I need to get AVG 7.5 remnants completely out of the system, including the program list in control panel and any remnant files that other apps, like MS Outlook, look for.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA