Can't make winword 2007 default to open .doc files

Software Problems

samkatz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't make winword 2007 default to open .doc files
Am running Vista Home Premium w/sp1. Computer shipped w/MS Works. I installed Office 2007 a while ago.
Am logged in as Administrator.

I want to click on .doc files and have them open w/2007, not MS Works.

Have tried to do this by following the procedure of going to set default programs where I get a dialog box w/graphics showing the program,eg works, photoshop, etc.
I click the little "+" sign to expand it and chose "browse" , since Word isint there.

I go to C:\office12\winword.exe which is the correct executable

Nothing happens. Winword.exe never sticks in the dialog box or as the default program

This is vexing me for months and I've ignored it, but am sick of opening everything w/cr_ppy works, saving and then opening w/Word, or saving file, opening word and then hunting around for file.

Pls advise.
thank you

Chintan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't make winword 2007 default to open .doc files
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkatz View Post
[...]

Hi samkatz,
Did u find a reply to your problem, as i too am facing the same problem. Please do let me know if you have the solution.

Thanks

johnmarcwoosley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't make winword 2007 default to open .doc files
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintan View Post
Hi samkatz,
Did u find a reply to your problem, as i too am facing the same problem. Please do let me know if you have the solution.

Thanks
I see where I am supposed to be able to make Winword the default program to open .doc files. In Control Panel => Default Programs => Associate a file type or protocols with a program

I am able to browse for my default program (Office 97 Winword), but when I select it, it does not show up in the list to associate with the file type.
I can run Winword directly and then open up .doc files with the open file browser, but I am not able to double click on a document icon and have Winword open the doc. This appears to be an inconvenience that Microsoft has purposely done to encourage us all to upgrade to the new Office software.

I was successful in getting Excel to associate, but I have no success with either Winword nor with Powerpoint from the Office97 suite.