Windows Vista Update Error 57E

Software Problems

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Windows Vista Update Error 57E
I have entered a post about this Windows Vista Update Error 57E a bit more than a week ago and been researching it ever since. Seems a number of people are dealing with it. In my case, I am running Vista Ultimate 32 and MS Office 2003 and everytime Windows Update runs I get first 5 and now up to 8 updates that cannot, and do not install - producing an Error Code 57E which has no solution anywhere on the web. Frankly, its driving me crazy - as mentioned before I find it astonishing that there is an error code, and yet no one knows what the code means, what to look for, and worst of all, when I click the 'Get Help' link, there is no 57E even listed.

A number of folks have sent suggestions, and I do appreciate the replies, but nothing seems to work. I have shutdown the firewall, virus software and just about everything I can think of short of Vista itself, and still this situation persists.

My machine is less than a year old and I am now fighting (mildly) with Dell about supporting what they sold me, but they want bucks for something that well, I dont think I caused! As well, I am very leary about shelling out any bucks to Microsoft to get an answer to something they should certainly know about - after all, I developed sofware for years and we made error codes so we could tell people what they were about! (without charging them!)

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for the following quests I am on...

* Is there a way to just say "No" to updates - get them out of the list, and get them out of my life. I dont care at this point if I dont get the darn updates because they are not installing so what is the point?

* Is there any way to break through Microsoft's wall and get an answer without paying for something I just dont think I should be paying for!

Anyone with any suggestions? I would really appreciate some advice and am just about ready to pack up this machine and return it to Dell and tell them to fight it out with my lawyer. Everyday I am dealing with this now and it is terribly frustrating and well, boy are the Macs looking good right now! (Never thought I would be saying that!)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

- AndyF
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyF For This Useful Post:

evadiva is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't help, I'm just a fellow sufferer. I did send your entry to 'digg' and 'delicious' and a couple of IT people I know. I will post here if I get an answer. Its driving me mad too. My computer is similar age to yours and also from Dell. Maybe we should form a Vista sufferer union and attack Dell and Microsoft!!

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm, maybe a 57E Support Group?
Evadiva,

Thanks for your post... Maybe you have the right idea - we contact Dell and Microsoft and tell them we are ready for straight-jackets due to the 57E error...

I am going to keep souring the web and see what comes up on this but I am getting to the point where maybe, in a couple weeks more of fighting with Dell to support what they sold me, I will break down and pay MS for some support. This just seems so silly!

Either way, hang in there, as I am, and some way or another we will someday know what Error Code 57E really means!

- AndyF

chris49 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the same proleme here. Office 2003 and Vista 64 Business. I have have 8 updates to install and get everytime also the error code 57E . I know my post is not very helpful for U , but I know now, that I not alone !! - and Microsoft is really... !!!

Never give up! chris49

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
There IS a resolution
Chris,

This problem is solved. Did you read the entire post? A person using the handle PineKatz resolved the problem. Check the post and if you dont see the solution there, send me something back. It should work on 64 as well as it did for me on 32. He provided excellent step-by-step instructions for getting by the horrid 57E, so check it out and give a shout if you dont see the resolution. I am sure I saved it and can repost it.

AndyF

Riker01 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys i also have the same problem, i also run vista ultimate 32 bit, dell did not make my machine , i did,
Everything was sweet until about 3 months ago, then microsoft sent more updates out ,i duley set about installing them which i did and from then on error code 57e and no more updates installed , i have now bought a stright jacket and am copping with it , like one has said on here there seems to be no soliving it at all, the most radical one was to reinstall vista and then install office 2003, ??
I don't think so,, there must be another way to get around this ,,
COME ON I.T. IF THERE ARE ANY OF YOU FROM MICROSOFT IN HERE PLEASE RESPOND....
A film called one flew over the cucko nest comes to mind lol....
Waiting in the hallway....
Riker01 .....

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riker01,

No no no! Dont lose your sanity! There is a resolution to this problem and many of us are now using it, and it works. Here is what you need to do...

- Go into Windows Update and look for any update marked "Failed".
- Click on "View Update History"
- When you see the update history, click on the link as though you were going to download the update.
- Dont download, but instead, click "Run" and run the update.
- During the update you will get some errors - JUST CLICK "Ignore" and go by the errors.
- The update WILL complete, although history will still show "Failed" for a time.
- Next time Windows Update runs, it will see that the update is done, and will mark the given update as "Successful"

This works - I have done oh, maybe 15 updates this way since Pinekatz posted this way to get around things. The actual problem happening with these updates appears to be Vista's security. It doesnt normally allow the Registry to get updated when its run automatically, however doing it the way I have described has worked for every update that fails.

Why Microsoft is not directly addressing this? Who knows - but my guess is that Vista has such a bad rep right now that they are too busy working on Windows 7 than to bother fixing Vista.

Use this method Riker - it works - and give a shout if you need more help.

AndyF

Riker01 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happy beans , great stuff worked a treat for me AndyF and thanks also to pinekatz,
Come on microsoft pull your fingers out and get this issue sorted ...
Now would any one like to buy a jacket lol

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great!
Riker01...

Great! Yeah, I'd love to take credit, but I am just passing along what Pinekatz figured out - he/she is the hero here.

Im no expert, but apparently Microsoft does not appear to be wanting to do anything about this problem. I am told its "core" to Vista and would take too much work. But so far, any time I have an update that fails, I do the "Pinekatz routine" and it works.

Pass along the information - and for me - next time I am not going to be sold Vista quite so soon...

AndyF

Denooski is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Error Code 57e
I have searched for weeks and weeks for help on this issue and finally found this thread, thanks to a friend. AndyF, I have been trying your solution, but have a question. After I click on the link as though I was going to download the update, you said to click "Run", but I can't even get that far.

Denooski