Computer shuts down instantly without warning

Software Problems

dusterfrek is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Computer shuts down instantly without warning
Hi all:

Ever since I got Vista, it, every now and again will simply shut down (go to black immediately) in the middle of whatever I'm doing. Causing me to lose my work, etc. Very frustrating. Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks in advance.

Erik
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Erik,

this is more than likely a hardware issue.

The first thing to do is to have a look at in the Event Viewer see... Windows Vista Event Viewer

Can you tell me if there is any errors or warnings in here.

Another thing to try is a Harware Monitor. I have seen PC's turn off because the CPU got too hot. This software will tell you what temperature the CPU is running at and whether the fans are running...etc.. Hardware sensors monitor for Windows 9x/NT/XP/2000/2003/Vista

Tell us how you get on,

regards

Steve

klb1108 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you try checking the power options? i changed my power options to the computer never going into hybernation mode and for the screen never to go into hybernation mode. also i am still having the same problems with my computer shutting down after i checked and changed the power options. what i have noticed and i am not sure this is a problem or not, is the fan keeps turning on. are you having the same problem with it?

kerri

/mukunda/lonew01f/helper0 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Computer shuts down instantly without warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by klb1108 View Post
did you try checking the power options? i changed my power options to the computer never going into hybernation mode and for the screen never to go into hybernation mode. also i am still having the same problems with my computer shutting down after i checked and changed the power options. what i have noticed and i am not sure this is a problem or not, is the fan keeps turning on. are you having the same problem with it?

kerri
HEY I HAD THE SAME STUPID PROBLEM, I CAN UNDERSTAND YOU ITS VERY ANNOYING THAN YOUR COMPUTER GOES OFF AFTER SOME WHILE, IAM SURE THE PROBLEM IS YOU NEED TO GET A BLOWER(COMPRSSED AIR) THEN YOU NEED TO OPEN UP ALL THE THINGS LIKE MOTHERBOARD , HARD DISK , PSU , VIDEO CARD THEN PUT IT ON A STATIC PROOF THING LIKE PLASTIC , THEN CLEAN YOUR EVERY SYSTEM HARDWARE BY THE BLOWER DONT USE A VACCUME, SPECIALLY CLEAN THE COMPUTER HEAT SINK AND THE MAIN CPU FAN AND THEN CLEAN THE PSU UNIT AND DONT FORGET THE HARD DISK AND YOUR VIDEO CARD I AM SURE THIS WILL WORK OUT GOOD LUCK