Vista not allowing SSL/secure sites?

Security

Newbie

rypurdue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista not allowing SSL/secure sites?
Hi all-

It's a shame that my first post here has to be one asking for help, but thus is life, no?

Back when I was using XP SP2 (a few days ago) I was able to access secure sites like Paypal, my bank, etc. After upgrading to Vista Business, I am no longer able to access these websites. This occurs on both the latest release of IE7 and Firefox 2.0. I believe it's pretty much any site that starts with an "https://"

Anyone know what's going on?
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi rypurdue,

no probs asking for help..Welcome aboard

Can you try running IE7 in Administrator mode.

To do this, right-click the Internet Explorer icon, and then select Run as Administrator.

Try Access the sites.

If this doesn't work and you trust the sites you are going to you can do the folowing...

When the Address Bar with the certificate warning appears.
1. Click the Certificate Error button to open the information window.
2. Click View Certificates, and then click Install Certificate.
3. On the warning message that appears, click Yes to install the certificate.

Tell us how you get on,

regards

Steve
Newbie

rypurdue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Steve-

I even don't get as far as seeing the security certificate message. For example, when I try to access www.paypal.com, my browser will just hang indefinitely. Sometimes the page title will load, but other than that, I get absolutely nothing. I don't believe it's a problem with the security certificate, but something with the connection to a secure website.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
ok. Lets try turn off the certificate verification to see if you get through ( we will turn it back on)....

On the Security tab in the Internet Properties dialog box, select the Local intranet zone, and then click Sites.

In the Local intranet dialog box, click Advanced.

Click to clear the Require server verification (https for all sites in this zone check box.

Also in the Security tab in the Internet Properties dialog box, select the Trusted sites zone, and then click Sites.

In the Trusted sites dialog box, click to clear the Require server verification (https for all sites in this zone check box.

Close IE7 and try the sites again.

I'm also wondering if you could try "https://www.paypal.com" (without "s) directly instead of the www.paypal.com and whether you have tried running IE7 as an Administrator?

Steve

Last edited by Steve : 03-21-2007 at 03:15.
Newbie

rypurdue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve-

I did some research and found this solution:

Running a command prompt as an administrator, type "netsh interface tcp set global autotuning = disabled"

I did that and it worked. If you know what it means/does, can you explain it to me?

Now, all sites I visit work just fine. Normally I don't type the "https://" part, just www.mysite.com.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Well done

The command you typed in was to stop what is called "Receive Window Auto-Tuning" where Vista is constantly changing the amount of data that can be received depending on Network conditions.

Apparently not all routers..etc can handle this can cannot get the data to you correctly.

From Microsoft:

"Note Some Internet gateway devices and firewalls block packet flows because they do not correctly interpret the scaling factor used in TCP connections. Because of this, Internet Explorer in Windows Vista uses an initial scaling factor of 2. Other applications use a default initial scaling factor of 8. Microsoft is investigating changing the initial scaling factor for Internet Explorer-based connections to 8 in a future update of Windows Vista. Microsoft is working with the manufacturers of these devices so that they can be updated for compliance with TCP window scaling."

Well done again. I hope this can help other people in the same postition as you.

Steve

kimsubacz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help with internet security issues/ software unable to access the internet
Hi Steve,

I saw your posts from last year and it sounds like I have a similar problem on my computer. It is our first computer with Vista and it's been a learning curve, but now we have come to a problem that neither my husband or myself can solve. We can not access the internet through other software programs like Quickbooks, our online banking, UPS....the list goes on. We also can not participate in any sort of remote access for tech support. It's really hurting our business wasting all this time trying to figure out this problem. I've disabled our firewall and our antivirus to no avail. I've added Quickbooks as an "exception" in the firewall. We saw this post and logged in under our administrator's command prompt and entered in the command above, but it said something about needing to be elevated?? We are at a loss. Please help. I really don't want to go back to XP if we don't have to. Can someone/anyone please help???? Thanks.

Kim