How do I get photos from my Digital Camera onto my Laptop?

Printers, Scanners & Digital Cameras

Ben Tzion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I get photos from my Digital Camera onto my Laptop?
Hi Folks,
Wondering if you could help me with a frustrating problem.
I have just brought a new digital camera. The Casio Exilim EX-Z75.
I had hoped that getting photos from this onto my laptop would be easy as it has a san disk compact flash memory card and of course the cable connection to upload photos.
I have had a look at the Windows site and it seems to indicate that no driver should be needed however I can not upload the photos.
When I try I get a message that says something like " Windows vista recognised your camera but there was an error and to resolove it go to the products website for a fix."
The Casio website simply says that Windows vista should not need a driver.
I then thought " So what I will just stick in the compact flash card into the computer but even this did not work and Windows vista would not recognise the card.
Any ideas what I can do to sort this out?
HELP!!
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Ben,
how ya doin.

Would it be possible to get the exact error message that comes up in Vista?

What is the Make, Model No...etc of the Compact Flash card?

Have you tried this in another computer? We need to verify that the Flash card is not corrupt.

Talk to you soon,

regards

Steve

Ben Tzion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Steve, Thanks for the reply.
In answer to your questions the card itself does not have that much detail but is a San Disk 1.0GB compact flash card.
I have tried inserting it into a friends laptop and this works fine and authomatically brings up the pics. Also connected the camera to his computer and it seems to just read the flash card ( and not identify the camera ) and again brought up the pics.
When I insert the card into my laptop I get a message that says:
" Windows needs to install driver software for your SD Memory card"
I then click " Locate and Install", and it shows " Installing driver software".
A box then pops up saying " Install the disk that came with your SD memory card".
I did not get any disk with the card so I click the " other options button".
After this it just says " Windows unable to install your SD memory card visit the manufacturers website and check support".
I have gone through to the San Disk website but seems they only have drivers for Windows 98 and 2000.

Ben
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Ben,

some more questions if you dont mind.

What Model Laptop is it and who is the manufacturer of the Memory Card? There are known issues with some Toshiba Laptops and Sony Memory cards...

We will soon get to the bottom of it..

regards

Steve

Ben Tzion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries. The flash card is made by San Disk and my computer is an Asus Pro 31J laptop. Dont know if this is significant but a friend wanted me to look at some photos which she had stored on a pendrive. When I put that in the USB port that too would not work. I was successful with some help in the end when we went online and added a driver. But when another friend wanted to put her pendrive into the USB port, beacuse it was a different brand I could not access that and would have had to have added yet another driver. Seems crazy when the old Windows XP just seemed to recognise everything from cameras to pendrives.

BZ
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Ben,
it seems to be a USB problem allright, instead of a camera or memory card problem.

Can you do a search for the file usbstor.inf on your hard drive.

It should be in the c:\windows\inf folder. If it is not and it is found in another location copy it over to the c:\windows\inf folder.

Even if it finds the file in the c:\windows\inf folder it could be corrupted and would need to be replaced with an original usbstor.inf file.

When a good usbstor.inf is in the c:\windows\inf reboot your PC and try plug in the camera again.

What edition of Vista are you running Home, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate and is it a 32 or 64 bit version?

What is your current BIOS version, there could be a newer version out.

Underneath the laptop there should be the model number that has Pro31J, there should be 1 or 2 letters after the J at the end. Can you tell me what it is.

We are getting closer to the solution....

regards

Steve

Ben Tzion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Steve,
Great that is seems we are getting somewhere.
I had a look for the the file usbstor.inf, and sure enough it is there in the c:\windows\inf folder.
You say in your e mail "Even if it finds the file in the c:\windows\inf folder it could be corrupted and would need to be replaced with an original usbstor.inf file."
Sorry, excuse my ignorance but how exactly do I go about replacing this with an original usbstor.inf file?

Re the info you requested:
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition ( version 6.0,6000 build 6000 ).
My computer is an Asus Notebook F3 Serise and has a 32 bit operating system.
The computer came with Vista pre loaded.
The BIOS is American Megatrends Inc 203 15/2/2007.
The system model is F3JR.
SMBIOS Version 2.4.

Hope that is the correct info you wanted, but as you say I feel we are getting closer to a solution.

BZ
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Ben,
once again sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

Lets try something...

Can you create a new folder, say c:\tempusb and copy the usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf to this folder.

Try installing your usb devices again and point them to this folder when asked for a driver.

regards

Steve

Ben Tzion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that Steve. Sorry I have been so long in replying. I followed your advise, but unfortunately still no joy. I have a palm pilot and have taken to putting my flash card into that, beaming it to my phone and then beaming that to the computer. Pretty slow process but it works and is Ok for one photo at a time