Netgear WGR614v4 and Vista Home Premium

Networking

Newbie

hugodlr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Netgear WGR614v4 and Vista Home Premium
I just bought a new computer running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have an older Netgear WRG614v4 wireless router that Netgaer is not supporting in Vista. Does anyone know if the router will work anyway, or if there are any workarounds to getting it to work with Windows Vista? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hugo,
first of all, welcome aboard

There is a solution.

Netgear do not have any drivers for the v4 firmware version of the WGR614 but they do for the v7 firmware.

This page will bring you to the firmware upgrade page....http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102604.asp

Then when you have finished with the firmware upgrade you can get the Vista drivers for your WGR614v7 from here....ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg...es_cd_beta.zip

Let us know how you get on.

regards

Steve
Newbie

hugodlr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve:

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. However, I don't think the solution you offered will work. My firmware is already upgraded to V5.0_07 - but the v4 designation on my router is it's model number, not the firmware version. There are no more firmware updates for my model, and I don't think that any other firmware (from models v5 - v7) will work on my older router.

However, in another forum someone replied that the router should work no matter what version of Windows I was running, due to the fact that all versions of Windows use TCP/IP. I'm still hesitant to just plug it in - what do you think?

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hi Hugo,

plug it in and give it a shot I'd say. TCP/IP will not work until it has a physical network to travel along. The drivers are the bridge that connects Vista to the actual physical hardware.

Install the XP drivers as well and see what happens. I do not think it would do any harm.

One other thing though, is that you could buy a cheap Wireless USB key and connect to the Netgear with it. It would save you having to go out and buy a brand new Router.

regards

Steve
Newbie

hugodlr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again - I'm gonna do it now - swap out the comps and see if it works - I'll let you know!

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo
Newbie

hugodlr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We got the wireless router working with Windows Vista, but now our two xp computers (desktop and laptop) can't connect to the internet. We get "limited or no connectivity" messages from both computers. The laptop has a built in wireless card, and we're using the USB wireless adapter that came with our router (WG111). Windows Vista can't "see" either of the two other computers. We've played with the settings, installed the link layer topology update to both XP machines . . . it's enough to make me install XP on this new computer so they can all get along! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Hugo,

you are nearly there.

First of all do all the PC's have the same workgroup

Then....

Quote:
For computers running Windows XP to appear on the Network Map diagram, you must download and install the LLTD Responder component. With the LLTD Responder, a computer running Windows XP can respond to other Windows Vista computers on the network that are attempting to create a network map.

To install the LLTD Responder to a computer running Windows XP

1. Download the update for Windows XP from Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

2. Run the update on the computer running Windows XP that you want to appear on the Network Map.

3. On the Software Update Installation Wizard, click Next.

4. On the License Agreement page, read the license agreement, and if you agree to the terms, click I Agree, and then click Next.

5. On the final page of the wizard, click Finish.

6. If you are prompted to do so, restart your computer.

7. After your computer running Windows XP restarts, generate a new Network Map with the computer running Windows XP included.
Hope this helps

regards

Steve