Networking for semi-beginners

Networking

kms1782 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Networking for semi-beginners
I have been trying to figure out a network solution for a friend’s business. They have three computers running Vista, two are laptops, and one is a desktop. The goal is to have the three computers on an internal network where they can share files and print using one another’s printer when needed. (to avoid having to print and manually take documents to one another’s office).

I am also curious if there is a way for them to send messages over the network without internet… like a memo…

My main issue concerns the lack of an internet connection. They do not currently use the internet, which has me stumped when trying to configure a network. I have never set one up for this purpose…

I connected the Desktop using an Ethernet cable to the laptop1, which worked fine when accessing the shared folders. (but it kept me from being able to connect laptop2 with the desktop… so I am thinking of getting a wireless USB for the desktop…)

I did try to set up an Ad Havoc network (using the Network wizard from Vista) from laptop1 to laptop2 with some success until I rebooted… I had some trouble reconnecting to the network… My goal is to have a network that is up and available when one or more of the computers are shutdown, and to share the printers. I don’t want to have to reset the network after every reboot.

Things I still need to do:
Set up user accounts on each computer in order for the other computers to share files.
Install the printers on each of the computers in order for them to print through the network (they aren’t wireless printers).
Check laptop2 to see if a third party firewall is on.
I may purchase a wireless USB for the desktop to eliminate the tether of a cord and to share files between laptop2 and the desktop.

I am looking for suggestions to try, or resources that will help me solve my dilemma. And I need to make sure it is a secure network once it is created.
Thanks so much!!!
Kristin

kms1782 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Networking for semi-beginners
Well, after some research and advice from others, I found the solution to my issue.

Location: carlsbad, CA
DrVoIP is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Networking for semi-beginners
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms1782 View Post
Well, after some research and advice from others, I found the solution to my issue.
Its good that you found out the solution ....Do you mind sharing it over here ?
__________________
VoIP

kms1782 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Networking for semi-beginners
Well, I started by using the command prompt to check my IPconfig. For those not accustomed to using the command prompt, it is located (on windows vista) in the accessories folder in your program list. You click the command prompt and type 'ipconfig' and it will detail a lot of information. The most important item is the IP address which is usually something like '192.168.1.101'

I just typed this address into my browser and a webpage for your router will popup.
It allowed me to set up my wireless router without the use of internet. The IT people at Best Buy said this was not possible, probably because they wanted me to pay Geek Squad... silly boys.

So now the network is running successfully. I am still trying to figure out what I need to do to set up messaging system for these computers. Not quite sure if we need a server and a program like outlook or what.

Any ideas?

kms1782 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Networking for semi-beginners
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVoIP View Post
Its good that you found out the solution ....Do you mind sharing it over here ?
I should have typed... the desktop is connected to the wireless router through an ethernet cable. I set up a password for security, and the other two laptops log into the network.

One thing to keep in mind will be that if the desktop is not turned on, the network will not be available and public folder for this computer will not be available either.

But other than that, it has been running and working well for us.

earnfreerupees is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Networking for semi-beginners
you can check this url for help xp-vista-networking
The Following User Says Thank You to earnfreerupees For This Useful Post:

e.giftshoppe is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Networking for semi-beginners
In order to create network between Vista and XP, we have to enable few network related features on Windows Vista.
Get your own desk clocks.