Join Date: Jun 2008
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XP Network - Vista Laptop Problem.
I have a problem that is proving a nightmare:
- We have several computers on our netwrok, including the server itself where we have our shared documents. (place where all shared files go that we want other users to see)
- Plugged my Vista Home Basic Laptop into our network, couldnt map the shared docs folder on my server.
- After reading many how to's, i followed this guide: Microsoft Corporation
- I have downloaded and installed the LLTD responder on the server with XP
- All computers were restarted, now when looking on the laptops "Veiw full map" I can see FILE_STORAGE (our server) but the guide above says right click on the computer running XP, however when I do this nothing happens, it is a solid icon and clicking it does nothing.
- All computers including the laptop are on the same workgroup
- The laptop has appeared when looking on the XP machine under viewing the network
- I have opened ports UDP: 137, 138, 1900 and TCP 21, 139, 445 2869
- We have AVG Antivirus and Firewall on all machines including the laptop. AVG does not allow you to open ports, so the above ports were opened on my router.
- When I plugged the laptop into the network AVG asked me to select a profile, I selected ALLOW ALL for the time being as "Computer In Domain" was not there to select.
- The vista laptop has Network Disc. ON, File Sharing ON, Public Folder Sharing ON and Printer Sharing ON
- One thing I couldnt get my head round was the differance between Workgroup and Network. The workgroup is the same on all computers, but I wasnt aware that I had ever given a "Network" name on any of the XP machine. Vista did ask for a "Network" name. For safety i put the same name as is in the workgroup.
Anyone any ideas, im desperate? Thanks in advance