Network Icon is Unknown, Cannot connect to the Internet

Networking

otipep2000 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Network Icon is Unknown, Cannot connect to the Internet
I am having a problem with my home network. When I go to Control Panel Network and Sharing Center it shows my Network Icon as unknown. When I try to use "Diagnose and Repair" I get a message that says "Windows cannot resolve the problem. I have gone to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. I try to start Netlogon and get a error message that says " Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I am hoping that I can get some help with this problem. I can not use my Vista computer to go online. I am using my XP desktop. SOS
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi otipep2000,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

Lets see if your Network Adapter has been diabled.

Can you open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

In here do you see Network Adapters?

If so does it have a yellow exclamation mark on your Network Adapter?

If it has a yellow exclamation mark on it then it has been diabled.

Right Click on it and select Enable and away you go.

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

kreendurron is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Network Icon is Unknown, Cannot connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi otipep2000,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

Lets see if your Network Adapter has been diabled.

Can you open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

In here do you see Network Adapters?

If so does it have a yellow exclamation mark on your Network Adapter?

If it has a yellow exclamation mark on it then it has been diabled.

Right Click on it and select Enable and away you go.

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

Steve, or anyone else.

I am having this same issue.
One day I started my comp and was not able to connect to the internet.
When I roll my mouse over my network activity icon i see a message.
"The dependency service or group failed to start"

I check my device manager and ALL of my Network Adapters have the yellow icon saying the "device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code 31)

What can be done about this? is there a place to download missing drivers?
I need this fix desperately, I work from this computer.

Comp Info:
Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
6400@2.31GHz
2.00GB ram

Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

kreendurron is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Network Icon is Unknown, Cannot connect to the Internet
also, It does not have the option to enable these adapters. That option is grayed out.