DVD's won't show in Vista after SP1 update?

Misc Hardware

Location: the land of tir na nog, (ireland)
reggiehouse is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DVD's won't show in Vista after SP1 update?
Hi, I would like to say hello to all the regular forum users and introduce myself, reggiehouse. I recently installed SP1 on my Vista home premium computer a Mesh quad core machine and now i find that my dvd/rw cd/rom drive while making all the correct sounds and flashing lights, is unable to show anything relevant visually (autostart options) in vista when ever i install a cd or dvd. That is, no details of the items are show under properties etc. In device manager all is said to be well with the most relevant driver being present therefore it must be vista, again right! Of course everything is set up in auto play to play correctly also.I would prefair not to uninstall SP1 just yet as it will need to go back on at some stage. Everything else seems to work ok webcam, files, video etc just this issue, and a tv tuner card issue but that can wait. I need to get my DVD drive working just in case i need to do a system restore with the Mesh Installation DVD etc.Any suggetions would be well appreciated!.it's like a missing GUI or something.Tks.R

Computer specs:
CDRW/DVD/CDROM: TS3Tcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N
Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
4 Gigs of Ram
Mesh GTA Quad Core
Graphics card: Nvidia geforce 8600GT 256mbs ram SLI

zeroid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
possible solutions to your problem
Hello,

I have the same problem, posted elsewhere on this site.

I have found 3 possible solutions; none have worked for me, but they've worked for other people, so you might want to try.

1) go to Device Manager, to your DVD drive and uninstall the driver. Then reboot, which will reinstall it.

2) Try a registry edit:
1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders
  • <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif">HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif">SYSTEM <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif">CurrentControlSet <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif">Control <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif">Class
  • {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
  • UpperFilters
  • LowerFilters
  • UpperFilters.bak
  • LowerFilters.bak
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

3) physically remove and re-seat your optical drive.

Again, none of these worked for me, but they've worked for other people. I hope this helps!

(i've resigned myself to using the Restore utility to go back to my original factory settings. Backing up my files will be a tedious process, particularly without an optical drive.)