What are your experiences of using VDI

Microsoft Virtualization Q&A - Tues 23rd Feb 2010

hkl hkl is offline

hkl is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are your experiences of using VDI
The Microsoft team would like to hear about your experiences of using VDI - good and bad: perhaps they can help you if you've had problems in the past, or use your feedback to improve services available.

Last edited by hkl : 02-22-2010 at 10:52.

Neil Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: What are your experiences of using VDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkl View Post
The Microsoft team would like to hear about your experiences of using VDIs - good and bad: perhaps they can help you if you've had problems in the past, or use your feedback to improve services available.
Did anyone see the great webcast yesterday by Lancs Police on the Register talking about their experience of VDI? Any thoughts? On demand version available early next week, I'll post the link when it's available.

robertmiles is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What are your experiences of using VDI
I'd like to see the definition of a VDI first; I don't remember ever using something labelled as a VDI.

Neil Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What are your experiences of using VDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmiles View Post
I'd like to see the definition of a VDI first; I don't remember ever using something labelled as a VDI.
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) is one option for desktop virtualisation where client desktop workloads (operating system, application, user data) are hosted on servers in the data centre. Users can communicate with their virtual desktops through a client device that supports remote desktop protocols such as RDP. Presentation virtualisation is also server based, but involves delivery of a terminal session to either a PC or other client device.

This is in contrast to other options which involve virtualising the application running locally on a PC (eg Microsoft App-V) or having a separate virtual machine running locally on the PC (eg XP Mode in Windows 7).

At Microsoft we think the choice between these types of desktop virtualisation is about what fits the types of users, applications and ways of working in your organisation - but it would be great to know what you all think - and if anyone has experience to share?

Neil Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What are your experiences of using VDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkl View Post
The Microsoft team would like to hear about your experiences of using VDI - good and bad: perhaps they can help you if you've had problems in the past, or use your feedback to improve services available.

The Lancs Police team talk about their experiences with Microsoft's VDI technologies (the good and the bad!) on the Register webcast (on demand version now at http://mediazone.brighttalk.com/comm...=x%20width=676
ErinWalsh's Avatar

Location: Ozark Foothills
ErinWalsh is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What are your experiences of using VDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkl View Post
The Microsoft team would like to hear about your experiences of using VDI - good and bad: perhaps they can help you if you've had problems in the past, or use your feedback to improve services available.
Have a VM loaded on my Mac Book Pro and haven't had a bit of trouble. Really pleased to have that option.
Erin Walsh,
Director of PR, Boost Software