Your questions for Microsoft

Microsoft Virtualization Q&A - Tues 23rd Feb 2010

Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 176 Times in 44 Posts
Your questions for Microsoft
Our community has been invited to comment on our experiences using Hyper-V and other virtualization platforms, and to post any questions about Microsoft’s Virtualization tools, for a Vistaheads exclusive Q & A and live discussion event on Tuesday 23rd February.

Over the next few weeks, the Microsoft Virtualization team will look at all of your comments and then Edwin Yuen, Senior Product Manager for Integrated Virtualization*, will come back with their responses and then stay online throughout the day for follow-up questions and discussions.

Please post your comments below.

Thanks!

*Edwin Yuen is the senior product manager in the Windows Enterprise Management division for System Center Virtual Machine Manager. Edwin has 13 years of technical consulting experience in both the commercial and federal space, and holds a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from Johns Hopkins University.
He and other members of his team will be here on the afternoon of Feb 23rd and they’re looking forward to getting your feedback and answering your questions!

Last edited by Paul : 02-16-2010 at 22:11.

robertmiles is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Your questions for Microsoft
How can you comment on Hyper-V if you've never seen it before?

Also, could Microsoft add a new program to 64-bit Vista and its successors to provide virtualization of some of the old 16-bit programs that have never been rewritten for 32-bit or 64-bit, but some people, such as those who run BBSs, still consider them worth running?

Last edited by robertmiles : 02-21-2010 at 23:58. Reason: formatting
13th_Panther's Avatar

13th_Panther is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Your questions for Microsoft
What is Hyper-V and other virtualization platforms?

I Have seen it in spybot S&D ..... i think . what is it any way.

naloxan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to remove Vista Dual Boot?
I purchased two copies of Vista, Home Premium and Ultimate.
I was not sure which one I wanted, so I put one OS on each.
After a few days I decided Home Premium which one I wanted. But now the system comes up with a dual-boot message at start-up. and I'm still getting the dual-boot screen.

How can I remove this without starting from scratch and losing everything?

Thanks a lot.

mike_laverick is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Your questions for Microsoft
Where is the Live Virtualization Event. Is there a link somewhere to hear it and take part - I don't see it myself...

Edwin Yuen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are online now
Hi, I'm Edwin Yuen and as noted above, myself and others from the Microsoft Virtualization team will be answer questions today in the forum! If you have a Virtualization question, ask away!

Edwin Yuen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Your questions for Microsoft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_laverick View Post
Where is the Live Virtualization Event. Is there a link somewhere to hear it and take part - I don't see it myself...
We are going to monitor the forum postings and reply back. If you have a question, go ahead and post away.

Edwin Yuen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Your questions for Microsoft
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmiles View Post
How can you comment on Hyper-V if you've never seen it before?

Also, could Microsoft add a new program to 64-bit Vista and its successors to provide virtualization of some of the old 16-bit programs that have never been rewritten for 32-bit or 64-bit, but some people, such as those who run BBSs, still consider them worth running?
We actually have several different virtualization solutions. One is Hyper-V, which is a full featured, bare metal Hypervisor (similar to VMware ESX or XenServer). This is available in a free, standalone version and it also comes with Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

We also have Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 for Vista and Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7, which is a Hypervisor that runs in your current Operating System (Like VMware Workstation and VirtualBox). With this, you can run a 32-bit version of Windows, even older versions, to run those 16-bit programs. This version is also free for download.

James O'Neill is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: We are online now
Hi I'm James O'Neill virtualization evangelist from Microsoft UK in Reading. I'm going to be on-line answering questions this afternoon, and I blog at James O'Neill's blog

Edwin Yuen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Your questions for Microsoft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th_Panther View Post
What is Hyper-V and other virtualization platforms?

I Have seen it in spybot S&D ..... i think . what is it any way.
Hyper-V and other virtualization software like it are designed to basically create virtual machines (computers), running in software, so you can run multiple virtual computers on a single computer.

There is a great, free downloadable eBook, which goes over Virtualization and what Microsoft Virtualization provides.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edwin Yuen For This Useful Post: