Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

microsoft update not working

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010
jeep_driver
 

Posts: n/a
microsoft update not working
hello
i have windows XP home edition, 32 bit, with SP 3 and Norton Internet Suite
the problem is an error message i get when i try to download updates....
it makes no sense because when i do exactly what it says to do, nothing
changes.
here is the error message:

Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
click Custom Level.
In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

when i check for the particular "userdata" setting in Internet Explorer, it
is already
set to ENABLE. i have tried all the other fixes that are listed. still
nothing works to resolve the problem.
thanks in advance


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: microsoft update not working
Is it really Norton Security Suite, a freebie from your ISP? Was the
freebie McAfee Security Center installed before that?

Has another Norton application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a
free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?


jeep_driver wrote:
> hello
> i have windows XP home edition, 32 bit, with SP 3 and Norton Internet
> Suite
> the problem is an error message i get when i try to download updates....
> it makes no sense because when i do exactly what it says to do, nothing
> changes.
> here is the error message:
>
> Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
> To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
> userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
> then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
> In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
> click Custom Level.
> In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
> Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.
>
> when i check for the particular "userdata" setting in Internet Explorer,
> it
> is already
> set to ENABLE. i have tried all the other fixes that are listed. still
> nothing works to resolve the problem.
> thanks in advance


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010
Ǝиçεl
 

Posts: n/a
RE: microsoft update not working
Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>
Reboot
-=-

For XP
Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix
Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.
Reboot
Try the
<http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
and D/L your updates
-=-

See if the system can update now.


I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it woяks ºut.


Ǝиçεl
-=-

"jeep_driver" wrote:

> hello
> i have windows XP home edition, 32 bit, with SP 3 and Norton Internet Suite
> the problem is an error message i get when i try to download updates....
> it makes no sense because when i do exactly what it says to do, nothing
> changes.
> here is the error message:
>
> Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
> To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
> userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
> then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
> In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
> click Custom Level.
> In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
> Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.
>
> when i check for the particular "userdata" setting in Internet Explorer, it
> is already
> set to ENABLE. i have tried all the other fixes that are listed. still
> nothing works to resolve the problem.
> thanks in advance
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2010
jeep_driver
 

Posts: n/a
Re: microsoft update not working


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is it really Norton Security Suite, a freebie from your ISP? Was the
> freebie McAfee Security Center installed before that?
>
> Has another Norton application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a
> free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>

hello PA Bear
in answer to your questions, yes! i have had the att/yahoo mc afee offered
by
ATT, my IP, and now i have Norton which is a subscriber's option to
download if you have comcast. i am now going to attempt the steps listed in
the post above yours. will be right back, most likely. thanks very much for
your support.


jeep driver wrote:
> > hello
> > i have windows XP home edition, 32 bit, with SP 3 and Norton Internet
> > Suite
> > the problem is an error message i get when i try to download updates....
> > it makes no sense because when i do exactly what it says to do, nothing
> > changes.
> > here is the error message:
> >
> > Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
> > To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
> > userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
> > then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
> > In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> > Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
> > click Custom Level.
> > In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> > Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
> > Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.
> >
> > when i check for the particular "userdata" setting in Internet Explorer,
> > it
> > is already
> > set to ENABLE. i have tried all the other fixes that are listed. still
> > nothing works to resolve the problem.
> > thanks in advance

>
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: microsoft update not working
[Please reply or post only to the newsgroup or forum thread so that all may
benefit from the discussion.]

You should have downloaded/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
before you installed the Comcast's Norton Security Suite freebie.

But it's too late now: Your email reply tells me that you're seeing the
effects of a hijackware infection.

Assuming the McAfee freebie from ATT had been working properly & effectively
protecting your computer (doubtful), the infection might have started while
you still had the McAfee app installed but were no longer an ATT subscriber
(if you're no longer an ATT subscriber, you don't get any definitions
updates from McAfee).
--
~PA Bear

jeep_driver wrote:
> in answer to your questions, yes! i have had the att/yahoo mc afee offered
> by ATT, my IP, and now i have Norton which is a subscriber's option to
> download if you have comcast. i am now going to attempt the steps listed
> in
> the post above yours. will be right back, most likely. thanks very much
> for
> your support.
>

<PASTE FROM EMAIL REPLY>
> thanks for consolidating my threads. i was unable to find my original
> from the other night and so i tried again on the other forum now,
> the latest on my problem.
> i uninstalled internet explorer 8 and then reinstalled it. now i get
> an error message
> saying i am not an administrator which is of course an untruth. in the
> lower right
> quick launch bar i am getting a security logo with the white X inside
> the red shield telling me to turn on automatic updates. i cannot get
> it to turn on, not when i click on the box. i get an message saying
> "were sorry, the security center could not update your automatic
> update settings". when i go to check it out i see that automatic
> updates is filled in the bubble just fine.
> why did you ask me about Norton and Mcafee? BTW, i have not been able
> to use my system restore and the Norton folks told me turn off a
> certain setting and then
> try it. guess what, system restore doesn't seem to work either. all
> goes well but nothing happens after i wait several minutes.

</PASTE>
>
>> Is it really Norton Security Suite, a freebie from your ISP? Was the
>> freebie McAfee Security Center installed before that?
>>
>> Has another Norton application ever been installed on the computer (e.g.,
>> a
>> free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>

> jeep driver wrote:
>>> hello
>>> i have windows XP home edition, 32 bit, with SP 3 and Norton Internet
>>> Suite
>>> the problem is an error message i get when i try to download updates....
>>> it makes no sense because when i do exactly what it says to do, nothing
>>> changes.
>>> here is the error message:
>>>
>>> Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
>>> To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
>>> userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below,
>>> and
>>> then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes
>>> again.
>>> In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
>>> Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
>>> click Custom Level.
>>> In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
>>> Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
>>> Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.
>>>
>>> when i check for the particular "userdata" setting in Internet Explorer,
>>> it
>>> is already
>>> set to ENABLE. i have tried all the other fixes that are listed. still
>>> nothing works to resolve the problem.
>>> thanks in advance

>>
>> .


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2010
scooter, scotto, scottso, jumbo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: microsoft update not working
On Jun 30, 9:03*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Please reply or post only to the newsgroup or forum thread so that all may
> benefit from the discussion.]
>
> You should have downloaded/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
> before you installed the Comcast's Norton Security Suite freebie.
>
> But it's too late now: Your email reply tells me that you're seeing the
> effects of a hijackware infection.
>
> Assuming the McAfee freebie from ATT had been working properly & effectively
> protecting your computer (doubtful), the infection might have started while
> you still had the McAfee app installed but were no longer an ATT subscriber
> (if you're no longer an ATT subscriber, you don't get any definitions
> updates from McAfee).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> jeep_driver wrote:
> > in answer to your questions, yes! i have had the att/yahoo mc afee offered
> > by ATT, my IP, and now i have Norton which is a subscriber's option to
> > download if you have comcast. i am now going to attempt the steps listed
> > in
> > the post above yours. will be right back, most likely. thanks very much
> > for
> > your support.

>
> <PASTE FROM EMAIL REPLY>
>
> > thanks for consolidating my threads. i was unable to find my original
> > from the other night and so i tried again on the other forum * *now,
> > the latest on my problem.
> > i uninstalled internet explorer 8 and then reinstalled it. now i get
> > an error message
> > saying i am not an administrator which is of course an untruth. in the
> > lower right
> > quick launch bar i am getting a security logo with the white X inside
> > the red shield telling me to turn on automatic updates. i cannot get
> > it to turn on, not when i click on the box. i get an message saying
> > "were sorry, the security center could not update your automatic
> > update settings". when i go to check it out i see that automatic
> > updates is filled in the bubble just fine.
> > why did you ask me about Norton and Mcafee? BTW, i have not been able
> > to use my system restore and the Norton folks told me turn off a
> > certain setting and then
> > try it. guess what, system restore doesn't seem to work either. all
> > goes well but nothing happens after i wait several minutes.

> </PASTE>
>
> >> Is it really Norton Security Suite, a freebie from your ISP? *Was the
> >> freebie McAfee Security Center installed before that?

>
> >> Has another Norton application ever been installed on the computer (e.g.,
> >> a
> >> free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

>
> > jeep driver wrote:
> >>> hello
> >>> i have windows XP home edition, 32 bit, with SP 3 and Norton Internet
> >>> Suite
> >>> the problem is an error message i get when i try to download updates.....
> >>> it makes no sense because when i do exactly what it says to do, nothing
> >>> changes.
> >>> here is the error message:

>
> >>> Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
> >>> To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
> >>> userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below,
> >>> and
> >>> then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes
> >>> again.
> >>> In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> >>> Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then
> >>> click Custom Level.
> >>> In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> >>> Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
> >>> Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

>
> >>> when i check for the particular "userdata" setting in Internet Explorer,
> >>> it
> >>> is already
> >>> set to ENABLE. *i have tried all the other fixes that are listed. still
> >>> nothing works to resolve the problem.
> >>> thanks in advance

>
> >> .


hey bear and the person who wrote their name in cyrillic (above):
i somehow got my updates working again. it wasn't a problem with
norton or mcafee. bear, i had used the
clean up tools after mcafee got unloaded and i moved to norton. i
still have att and symantec. my system restore
app is still not working properly but i will be back if the problem
persists. as for this thread's problem i believe
i didn't have settings for full administrative permission on WU and i
had to do a boot into safe mode in order to
modify the setting. i believe it was a folder called C:windows/
softwaredistribution that just needed to be
taken out of HIDDEN mode and the security tab looked into and ticked
off correctly.
i really do appreciate your kind and attentive support. i only wish XP
SP3 wasn't ending for good soon. but i know
where to find you guys and get help if the need arises. also forgive
me for spreading myself from the usenet at
google to the msn community forums and back. i was on somebody else's
machine and got seduced by MS
for the up****th time.
you two dudes rock though.
jeep_man in his wrangler
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: microsoft update not working
scooter, scotto, scottso, jumbo wrote:
<snip>
> i really do appreciate your kind and attentive support. i only wish XP
> SP3 wasn't ending for good soon...


Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. Extended Support for WinXP SP3
will continue through 08 April 2014.

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

Windows Update support forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...istawu/threads
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Update stopped working in May Michel Merlin microsoft.public.windowsupdate 5 08-01-2008 10:19
Microsoft update loops back to 'Welcome to Microsoft update' page Andrew S microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 06-07-2008 19:04
Problem running Microsoft Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com) Vule. microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-08-2007 18:00
Article ID: 933528 Message d'erreur lorsque vous essayez d'installer Microsoft Update sur un ordinateur Windows Vista-based : n'a pas pu "installer Microsoft Update sur l'ordinateur" KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Microsoft Update no longer working on Vista Ultimate Martin Herbst microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-29-2007 19:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120