.NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS

JamesKB

.NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
OS: WinXP SP3

Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
same thing it fails to install. Ideas???

Thanks for your time.
--
JamesKB

antioch

Re: .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
"JamesKB" <jameskb@jkbsystems.com> wrote in message
> OS: WinXP SP3
>
> Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
> little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
> same thing it fails to install. Ideas???
>
> Thanks for your time.
> --
> JamesKB

James - if you look at my post KB982524.Net update on 24 June - see if
either/both 976576 and 977354 are in Add/Remove - it appears that one gets
two for the price of one dll/install.
Have you tried installing with the 'long way round'?

Antioch

Rob

Re: .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
I have the same problem. I could install KB977354 manually but KB976576 is
not available in standalone. KB982524 fails with error 0x643 with Microsoft
Update and when I attempt a manual install. I have cleared the update cache
and run Microsoft Update again with the update still failing. Does anyone
have a solution yet?

TIA,
Rob

"antioch" <antioch@home.com> wrote in message
> "JamesKB" <jameskb@jkbsystems.com> wrote in message
>> OS: WinXP SP3
>>
>> Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
>> little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
>> same thing it fails to install. Ideas???
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>> --
>> JamesKB

> James - if you look at my post KB982524.Net update on 24 June - see if
> either/both 976576 and 977354 are in Add/Remove - it appears that one gets
> two for the price of one dll/install.
> Have you tried installing with the 'long way round'?
>
> Antioch

Jonno

Re: .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
Not sure how useful this will be, but today KB982524 repeatedly failed to
install on my machine. It's been said there is no standalone for this update,
but there is. I got the XP 32-bit standalone .exe for it from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...982524-x86.exe

When first trying to run this, I got a "File is corrupt" message. Downloaded
it again & it installed OK. Went back to Microsoft Update & thankfully it
says I'm up to date.

I've seen very elaborate instructions suggesting a complete uninstall of
..NET Framework, with incremental reinstallations of each update is the only
solution. Fortunately, that seems unnecessary.

"Rob" wrote:

> I have the same problem. I could install KB977354 manually but KB976576 is
> not available in standalone. KB982524 fails with error 0x643 with Microsoft
> Update and when I attempt a manual install. I have cleared the update cache
> and run Microsoft Update again with the update still failing. Does anyone
> have a solution yet?
>
> TIA,
> Rob
>
> "antioch" <antioch@home.com> wrote in message
> > "JamesKB" <jameskb@jkbsystems.com> wrote in message
> >> OS: WinXP SP3
> >>
> >> Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
> >> little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
> >> same thing it fails to install. Ideas???
> >>
> >> Thanks for your time.
> >> --
> >> JamesKB

> > James - if you look at my post KB982524.Net update on 24 June - see if
> > either/both 976576 and 977354 are in Add/Remove - it appears that one gets
> > two for the price of one dll/install.
> > Have you tried installing with the 'long way round'?
> >
> > Antioch

JamesKB

Re: .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
Thanks Jonno, your solution worked for me.

Have a good day.
--
JamesKB

"Jonno" <Jonno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure how useful this will be, but today KB982524 repeatedly failed to
> install on my machine. It's been said there is no standalone for this
> update,
> but there is. I got the XP 32-bit standalone .exe for it from here:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...982524-x86.exe
>
> When first trying to run this, I got a "File is corrupt" message.
> Downloaded
> it again & it installed OK. Went back to Microsoft Update & thankfully it
> says I'm up to date.
>
> I've seen very elaborate instructions suggesting a complete uninstall of
> .NET Framework, with incremental reinstallations of each update is the
> only
> solution. Fortunately, that seems unnecessary.
>
> "Rob" wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem. I could install KB977354 manually but KB976576
>> is
>> not available in standalone. KB982524 fails with error 0x643 with
>> Microsoft
>> Update and when I attempt a manual install. I have cleared the update
>> cache
>> and run Microsoft Update again with the update still failing. Does
>> anyone
>> have a solution yet?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Rob
>>
>> "antioch" <antioch@home.com> wrote in message
>> > "JamesKB" <jameskb@jkbsystems.com> wrote in message

>> > James - if you look at my post KB982524.Net update on 24 June - see if
>> > either/both 976576 and 977354 are in Add/Remove - it appears that one
>> > gets
>> > two for the price of one dll/install.
>> > Have you tried installing with the 'long way round'?
>> >
>> > Antioch

rainsrg

RE: .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
I have the same problem. Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 -
KB982524 it fails, the little yellow shield goes away.... but it keeps coming
back daily. I try again, and again it fails to install. I tried going to
the Microsoft web site, finding KB982524 and manually downloading and
installing. That didn't work either. It would download, but the install
would fail.

"JamesKB" wrote:

> OS: WinXP SP3
>
> Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
> little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
> same thing it fails to install. Ideas???
>
> Thanks for your time.
> --
> JamesKB
>
> .

Robert Aldwinckle

"rainsrg" <rainsrg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem. Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 -
> KB982524 it fails, the little yellow shield goes away.... but it keeps
> coming
> back daily. I try again, and again it fails to install. I tried going to
> the Microsoft web site, finding KB982524 and manually downloading and
> installing. That didn't work either.

> It would download, but the install would fail.

That's the second reason that you're doing a manual install. If it fails,
you can now have much better diagnostics about the failure. Hint: among
all the files that the update creates or adds to look for an msi log or
maximize it by rerunning the install with a verbose switch on your command
line. Etc. BTW if you're not sure about how to find all of the changed
files (e.g., I don't think you can use Windows Search any more for this) you
can use ProcMon to capture any Operation Contains WRITE made by the
update's process name. FWIW I usually find dir/a/s/ta | sort
sufficient (e.g. in a cmd window) but I have my time and date set up to
enable that sort (e.g. Date YYYY-MM-DD and time HH:MM:SS -- ISO date and
24 hour with zero filled values. )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "JamesKB" wrote:
>
>> OS: WinXP SP3
>>
>> Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
>> little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
>> same thing it fails to install. Ideas???
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>> --
>> JamesKB
>>
>> .

Re: .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
Let us know when you figure out what clicking that little + sign does. But
you better do it before Thursday when MS is 86'ing this and many other
newsgroups.

rainsrg wrote:
> I have the same problem. Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 -
> KB982524 it fails, the little yellow shield goes away.... but it keeps
> coming back daily. I try again, and again it fails to install. I tried
> going to the Microsoft web site, finding KB982524 and manually downloading
> and installing. That didn't work either. It would download, but the
> install would fail.
>
> "JamesKB" wrote:
>
>> OS: WinXP SP3
>>
>> Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
>> little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
>> same thing it fails to install. Ideas???
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>> --
>> JamesKB
>>
>> .

Hoyt Andres

KB982524 Update
I'm having the same problem. It fails everytime I have tried to install the update.

What's the problem and who can help me fix it?

I'm not a computer professional, but I am very computer literate.

Hoyt Andres

JamesKB wrote:

..NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 FAILS
24-Jun-10

OS: WinXP SP3

Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 - KB982524 it fails, the
little yellow shield goes away.... but always comes back. I try again....
same thing it fails to install. Ideas???

Thanks for your time.
--
JamesKB

Composite UI Pattern And Enterprise Settings
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-settings.aspx