Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down

KTexas

Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
Hi,
When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates installing,
do not turn off your computer", nothing installs and my computer doesn't
automatically turn off like it usually does. I have had to turn it off at
the power switch, when I press the off button on the CPU, nothing happens.

It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1 updates,"
to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down automatically."

I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

Thanks
Shenan Stanley

Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
KTexas wrote:
> When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates
> installing, do not turn off your computer", nothing installs and
> my computer doesn't automatically turn off like it usually does. I
> have had to turn it off at the power switch, when I press the off
> button on the CPU, nothing happens.
>
> It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1
> updates," to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down
> automatically."
>
> I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

How long have you given it to do the installation?

Your power button is likely a 'soft' one - meaning it is electronic - not
mechanical. If you *really* want to force it off - you will have to hold it
down ofr 8+ seconds.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

KTexas

Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
I have left the computer on for almost 2 hrs. waiting and it just keeps going
from "installing 1 of 1" to "do not turn off your computer." I finally just
went in and changed my setting to "notify me before downloading or installing
updates. I really don't want to do this, I would rather they install
automatically. The "installing 1 of 1" seems to be hung. When I look at my
history of updates it doesn't show anything that hasn't updated.

I would still like to fix it so I can go back and get automatic updates but
don't want to keep having to turn off the computer. Please advise, and
thanks!

KTexas wrote:
> I have left the computer on for almost 2 hrs. waiting and it just
> keeps going from "installing 1 of 1" to "do not turn off your
> computer." I finally just went in and changed my setting to
> "notify me before downloading or installing updates. I really
> don't want to do this, I would rather they install automatically.
> The "installing 1 of 1" seems to be hung. When I look at my
> history of updates it doesn't show anything that hasn't updated.
>
> I would still like to fix it so I can go back and get automatic
> updates but don't want to keep having to turn off the computer.
> Please advise, and thanks!

Without knowing which update (KB######), what operating system (Windows ____
____ Edition), what service pack (1, 2, 3, if any) and what architecture
(32-bit or 64-bit) - help could be limited. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Annwyn

Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
I am having exactly the same problem and have been for approx three weeks. I
have also disabled my automatic updates and it sticks on 'installing 1 of 11'
' do not turn off your computer' but nothing happens. I am running windows
xp, and have service pack 2 installed also, with regards to the 64 bit
thingy, I have no idea, I'm not that computer literate. A bit more
information and help from Windows customer help would be appreciated as to
what the possible problem could be and what can be done about it.

Annwyn wrote:
> I am having exactly the same problem and have been for approx three
> weeks. I have also disabled my automatic updates and it sticks on
> 'installing 1 of 11' ' do not turn off your computer' but nothing
> happens. I am running windows xp, and have service pack 2 installed
> also, with regards to the 64 bit thingy, I have no idea, I'm not
> that computer literate. A bit more information and help from
> Windows customer help would be appreciated as to what the possible
> problem could be and what can be done about it.

Are you sure you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2?

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
(No "RUN", press the WindowsKey+R at the same time.)
winver
--> Click OK.

That will give you (picture at top) the full name of the operating system.
That will give you (in the test) the Service Pack you have installed.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit
version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Did you call/contact the "Windows customer help"? This is a peer-to-peer
(in my case) newsgroup (forum) where people can come to get help and/or help
if they can.

If you *do* have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and it is 32-bit (see above
for details on how to figure that out) - then...

Why still Service Pack 2?

What I think you should do - if you have Windows XP 32-bit with SP2 or
later...

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step - you may (hopefully) have SP3 already...
If not - now is not the time.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time. (If you already have it - so be it...)

After all that...

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Come back - especially if you get stuck someplace, but even if you don't -
and let everyone know how it turns out.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Location: netherlands
pfeiffersymptomen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
Hello

I had the same problem since 2 weeks.
Is there a solution yet?

Cheers
Michael Pfeiffer
http://pfeiffersymptomen.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTexas View Post
Hi,
When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates installing,
do not turn off your computer", nothing installs and my computer doesn't
automatically turn off like it usually does. I have had to turn it off at
the power switch, when I press the off button on the CPU, nothing happens.

It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1 updates,"
to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down automatically."

I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

Thanks

Andrew Philips is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
Is there such thing as a XP version on 64 bit?
__________________
It is said that the dog is the manís best friend. Well, today it seems more that a spyware remover is a manís best friend, so check out my website and find the best solutions for your computer.

djones is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
try these steps suggested by microsoft.

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

3. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

4. Delete the Catroot2 sub-folder in System32.

5. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

6. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

After performing the above steps please again try to update again.

Last edited by djones : 12-05-2011 at 04:39.

unspokenhermit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Update 1 of 1 installing, computer won't shut down
When I try to shut my laptop down it says ďanother user is logged inĒ but in reality there is no more users logged in. It also says if I forcefully shut down the system then I might loss important data. Can anyone please tell me why this happens and what is the way out of this trouble?