Windows Update Hanging

Sharon

Windows Update Hanging
Hello Gurus,

I’m using WinXP SP3.
The Windows Update is hanging.
When I tries to open the IE8 to do the Windows Update it hang at the stage
where is writes on screen:
“Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
software for use with website” and in the status bar is shows 38%.
The Windows XP is licenses and activated correctly.
No events is shown In the Windows Event Viewer.

Can you help me resolve this issue?

-------
Thanks
Sharon
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update Hanging
Sharon wrote:
> I'm using WinXP SP3.
> The Windows Update is hanging.
> When I tries to open the IE8 to do the Windows Update it hang at
> the stage where is writes on screen:
> "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows
> updating software for use with website" and in the status bar is
> shows 38%.
> The Windows XP is licenses and activated correctly.
> No events is shown In the Windows Event Viewer.
>
> Can you help me resolve this issue?

Thanks for the information. Here is what I suggest...

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.

Come back - especially if you get stuck someplace, but even if you don't -
and let everyone know how it turns out.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows Update Hanging
Is this a sudden, new problem?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Sharon wrote:
> I’m using WinXP SP3.
> The Windows Update is hanging.
> When I tries to open the IE8 to do the Windows Update it hang at the stage
> where is writes on screen:
> “Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
> software for use with website” and in the status bar is shows 38%.
> The Windows XP is licenses and activated correctly.
> No events is shown In the Windows Event Viewer.

Sharon

Re: Windows Update Hanging
Yes, it's a new problem for me. the updates was working nicely.

I’m using the Avast Pro anti-virus. And Ad-Aware anti-spyware.
I’m also using the built-in Windows Firewall.
I have never used Norton or McAfee application on my PC.

Any help will be very much appreciation.

--------
Thanks
Sharon

Re: Windows Update Hanging
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Is Automatic Updates enabled? Has it always been enabled?

Try...

[Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes, then reboot]

Sharon wrote:
> Yes, it's a new problem for me. the updates was working nicely.
>
> I’m using the Avast Pro anti-virus. And Ad-Aware anti-spyware.
> I’m also using the built-in Windows Firewall.
> I have never used Norton or McAfee application on my PC.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Is this a sudden, new problem?

> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought
> it)?
>
> Sharon wrote:
>> I’m using WinXP SP3.
>> The Windows Update is hanging.
>> When I tries to open the IE8 to do the Windows Update it hang at the
>> stage
>> where is writes on screen:
>> “Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
>> software for use with website” and in the status bar is shows 38%.
>> The Windows XP is licenses and activated correctly.
>> No events is shown In the Windows Event Viewer.

lypolintan74

RE: Windows Update Hanging

"Sharon" wrote:

> Hello Gurus,
>
> I’m using WinXP SP3.
> The Windows Update is hanging.
> When I tries to open the IE8 to do the Windows Update it hang at the stage
> where is writes on screen:
> “Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
> software for use with website” and in the status bar is shows 38%.
> The Windows XP is licenses and activated correctly.
> No events is shown In the Windows Event Viewer.
>
> Can you help me resolve this issue?
>

> -------
> Thanks
> Sharon

Sharon

Re: Windows Update Hanging
Thanks a lot.

The fix worked perfectly.

--
Thanks
Sharon

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Has it always been enabled?
>
> Try...
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> [Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
> DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes, then reboot]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>

> Sharon wrote:
> > Yes, it's a new problem for me. the updates was working nicely.
> >
> > I’m using the Avast Pro anti-virus. And Ad-Aware anti-spyware.
> > I’m also using the built-in Windows Firewall.
> > I have never used Norton or McAfee application on my PC.

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > Is this a sudden, new problem?
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> > Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> > computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> > bought
> > it)?
> >
> > Sharon wrote:
> >> I’m using WinXP SP3.
> >> The Windows Update is hanging.
> >> When I tries to open the IE8 to do the Windows Update it hang at the
> >> stage
> >> where is writes on screen:
> >> “Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
> >> software for use with website” and in the status bar is shows 38%.
> >> The Windows XP is licenses and activated correctly.
> >> No events is shown In the Windows Event Viewer.

> .

Re: Windows Update Hanging
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.