RE: KB925902 update causes STOP:c000021A fatal error at boot

iamneo

RE: KB925902 update causes STOP:c000021A fatal error at boot
JB,

I noticed your searching and posting about this issue on the web... and
finally came across your solution..

Many thanks, as this stupid update took down my windows 2003 server... Not
wanting to lose a whole week of clients data, I was so glad to see this
solution..

I thank you... for saving my server...

I only wish Microsoft would own up to issues like this one. How an update
can take down systems is beyond me.

Interesting is that this kb925902 update only killed one of my 2003 servers.
Of course it had to kill the one that had the most important info...

Thanks again....

Neo... June 22, 2010

"J Barker" wrote:

> > So can you tell me where I can find the 'batch spuninst.txt' and if it gives
> > me any info on how to remove the hofix again? - I have to say here I never
> > uninstalled a hotfix by using the console, so I dunno how to do it. thanks,
> > Daniel

> You need to boot your PC from a Windows XP install CD (*not* a PC recovery
> disk some vendors provide with them). When you start XP from the CD, one of
> the options is to launch the Recovery Console.
>
> After answering a few questions, you should end up with a C:\WINDOWS prompt,
> or something similar.
>
> At this prompt, type
>
> cd $NtUninstallKB925902$\spuninst
>
> Then type
>
> batch spuninst.txt
>
> All being well, a handful of files will be replaced with the original
> versions (before the update was installed) and when you reboot your machine,
> it shouldn't blue screen.
>
> When the machine reboots, you should disable Automatic Updates temporarily.
>
> Then go to Control Panel and remove the KB925902 patch from Add/Remove
> Programs (make sure Show Updates is ticked at the top of this page).
>
> You then need to go to the Microsoft web site and download the KB925902
> patch without installing it.
>
> Then, boot your PC into Safe Mode by pressing F8 when the boot process starts.
>
> When it's booted into Safe Mode, run the KB925902 patch you downloaded
> earlier and reboot again normally.
>
> All being well, this should install the patch without trashing your machine.
>
> JB

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB925902 update causes STOP:c000021A fatal error at boot
Neo,

Why are you only now installing a security update from 2007?

The corresponding KB article mentions an issue with some printer drivers which
can cause a system crash, but nothing about failures to boot. If they were
common, it is likely that the problem would be documented.

In more general terms, when an update causes a system to fail the most common
causes are an already existing malware infection or faulty device drivers or
other third-party kernel-mode components (such as antivirus software).
Unfortunately there are too many possible combinations of hardware and software
out there for Microsoft to test updates on all of them.

(Once in a while the update really is at fault, of course, in which case
Microsoft usually withdraw the update until it can be corrected.)

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com