Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered...

aztony

Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered...
I keep getting this message when using Update:
Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
on your computer

I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install any
updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago. What
gives?

Running XP Pro
aztony

RE: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered...
I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
support using the cmd mode. I seem to remember seeing in other posts related
to this problem, that there were some files that were not suggested, so I'm
really not sure if all the files needed were registered. I also did a reboot
after registering the files.

"aztony" wrote:

> I keep getting this message when using Update:
> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
> on your computer
>
> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install any
> updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago. What
> gives?
>
> Running XP Pro

yson010362

"aztony" wrote:

> I keep getting this message when using Update:
> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
> on your computer
>
> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install any
> updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago. What
> gives?
>
> Running XP Pro

Re: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered...
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

aztony wrote:
> I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
> support using the cmd mode. I seem to remember seeing in other posts
> related to this problem, that there were some files that were not
> suggested, so I'm really not sure if all the files needed were registered.
> I also did a reboot after registering the files.
>
>> I keep getting this message when using Update:
>> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
>> installed on your computer
>>
>> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install
>> any updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago.
>> What gives?
>>
>> Running XP Pro

aztony

Re: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registere
SP3
McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
startup. The others are done manually.
No 3rd party firewall.
I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem with
it when they issued an upgrade. I ended up uninstalling it and going to
McAfee. It was not a trial version.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> aztony wrote:
> > I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
> > support using the cmd mode. I seem to remember seeing in other posts
> > related to this problem, that there were some files that were not
> > suggested, so I'm really not sure if all the files needed were registered.
> > I also did a reboot after registering the files.
> >
> >> I keep getting this message when using Update:
> >> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> >> installed on your computer
> >>
> >> I haven't turned on my desktop for 3 weeks, turned it on just to install
> >> any updates, and ran into this problem which I didn't have 3 weeks ago.
> >> What gives?
> >>
> >> Running XP Pro

> .

Re: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registere
> McAfee Security Suite

Pick one: McAfee Internet Security; McAfee Total Protection; McAfee Security
Center.

Had your ZA subscription already expired by the time you installed this
McAfee application?

Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it?

Is Spybot Resident Tea Timer enabled?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
--
~PA Bear

aztony wrote:
> SP3
> McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
> SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
> startup. The others are done manually.
> No 3rd party firewall.
> I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem
> with
> it when they issued an upgrade. I ended up uninstalling it and going to
> McAfee. It was not a trial version.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> aztony wrote:
>>> I forgot to add that I have tried registering the files suggested by MS
>>> support using the cmd mode. I seem to remember seeing in other posts
>>> related to this problem, that there were some files that were not
>>> suggested, so I'm really not sure if all the files needed were
>>> registered.
>>> I also did a reboot after registering the files.

>> .

aztony

Re: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registere
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I never received a notice that my
message was replied too and I haven't been on my desktop.

McAfee Security Center is the program I have.
No, ZA wasn't expired at the time of installation. I used ZA's uninstall
program to make sure everything was deleted.
No, Tea Timer is off.

Just for reference. Update was and had been working up and until I didn't
use the pc for 3 weeks. When I went to turn it on and run windows update is
when this issue started. What happened from the time I turned it off until
then I have no idea. Is there a way to maybe repair Windows with the CD?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > McAfee Security Suite

> Pick one: McAfee Internet Security; McAfee Total Protection; McAfee Security
> Center.
>
> Had your ZA subscription already expired by the time you installed this
> McAfee application?
>
> Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it?
>
> Is Spybot Resident Tea Timer enabled?
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> [Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
> DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> aztony wrote:
> > SP3
> > McAfee Security Suite, Yes it is current
> > SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware, Spybot - SAS is the only one that runs on
> > startup. The others are done manually.
> > No 3rd party firewall.
> > I did have ZA Security Suite a couple of months back but had a problem
> > with
> > it when they issued an upgrade. I ended up uninstalling it and going to
> > McAfee. It was not a trial version.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .

> .

Re: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registere
You missed one...

> Did a Norton or McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
> you bought it?

Is McAfee Security Center a freebie from your ISP?

Did you try doing a Reset yet?