Outlook Express

hot rodder

Outlook Express
I Can't delete any E-Mails I receive. I've been able to move them to the junk
file, but I can't delete them from there either. Any help would be greatly
appreciated

Re: Outlook Express
[Crossposted to OE General newsgroup]

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created for archiving
(saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2a. Write down the location of your identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
Folder Options | View (cf.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

5. Open OE & compact all folders (ALT+F+F+F).

To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
OE-specific newsgroup:

hot rodder wrote:
> I Can't delete any E-Mails I receive. I've been able to move them to the
> junk file, but I can't delete them from there either. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated

Ǝиçεl

RE: Outlook Express
You may have better luck finding a proper solution in the Windows Mail group,
this one is for trouble initially installing WindowsUpdates.

Over there you will find MVP's and other regulars that are familiar with
these problems and their resolution:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.mai l&cat=en_US_9CA88DDB-D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US>

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"hot rodder" wrote:

> I Can't delete any E-Mails I receive. I've been able to move them to the junk
> file, but I can't delete them from there either. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated

Re: Outlook Express
[Windows Mail is Vista; Outlook Express is WinXP & earlier]

Ǝиçεl wrote:
> You may have better luck finding a proper solution in the Windows Mail
> group...

Bickford Shmeckler

Re: Outlook Express
This is a Windows Update newsgroup.
Outlook Express doesn't have a junk file.
"hot rodder" <hot rodder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:I Can't delete any E-Mails I receive. I've been able to move them to the
junk
: file, but I can't delete them from there either. Any help would be greatly
: appreciated

Re: Outlook Express
[Another county heard from...]