Windows update does not work

Vijay

Windows update does not work
I keep getting a error number 0x8024D007 error each time I try to update. I
run licensed XP, SP3, 32 bit, with MS Security Essentials installed. Not able
to update MSE too. Tried to resolve by installing MS Fix it Centre. No joy.
HELP!!
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update does not work
Vijay wrote:
> I keep getting a error number 0x8024D007 error
> each time I try to update. I run licensed XP, SP3,
> 32 bit, with MS Security Essentials installed. Not able
> to update MSE too. Tried to resolve by installing MS
> Fix it Centre. No joy.
> HELP!!

Follow exactly, step-by-step - even (especially) if you know you have done a
step before:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step - you said you have SP3 already..

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)
..
Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - especially if you get stuck someplace, but even if you don't -
and let everyone know how it turns out.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows update does not work
When (approx. date) did you install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and
was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update at the time?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your
subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed
MSE?

it)?

Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse

Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-efd9a49d9275