KB982331

yogibearbull

KB982331
In the past, I have been able to download updates from the MS Download
Center, click on the copyright notice, and install the updates. Then the
updates warnings/notices went away. I assumed that may be Michael Dell didn't
pay licensing fees to Bill Gates.

Not so with KB982331.

I have downloaded it againn few times and ran it, but the warning doesn't go
away. They continue to show daily update failures.

What is up with it?
Bickford Shmeckler

Re: KB982331
I assumed that may be Michael Dell didn't
: pay licensing fees to Bill Gates.
:

Were you born a HoopleHead or did you work your way down to it?

yogibearbull

Re: KB982331
What did M Dell pay you?
Did you finish HS? I got PhD!
Why do I have to just sign copyright releases to download updates?
Repost with something constructive. I am open minded.

"Bickford Shmeckler" wrote:

> I assumed that may be Michael Dell didn't
> : pay licensing fees to Bill Gates.
> :
>
> Were you born a HoopleHead or did you work your way down to it?
>

> .

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB982331
On 2010-06-18 10:37 a.m., yogibearbull wrote:

> What did M Dell pay you?
> Did you finish HS? I got PhD!

Yeah, me too - but is that relevant?

> Why do I have to just sign copyright releases to download updates?
> Repost with something constructive. I am open minded.

I don't know what you're talking about. Please start again and try to explain
what the actual problem is. We also need to know what operating system you are
running and what service pack is installed.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
Shenan Stanley

Re: KB982331

yogibearbull wrote:
> What did M Dell pay you?
> Did you finish HS? I got PhD!
> Why do I have to just sign copyright releases to download updates?
> Repost with something constructive. I am open minded.

Your original posting was a little out there, but nothing more than
frustration, I assume. The first response to it was not something
constructive, agreed, but your response to that seemed to add little to
anyone wanting to assist you and really served to counteract any point you
were trying to make in itself. You ended up speaking in initialisms, not
just initialisms but 'caveman/tarzan inflected initialisms' - for lack of a
better way of describing them.

If you want to attempt to get back on track, feel free. Some friendly
non-computer related advice... Please refrain from going into 'texting' mode
in a situation such as this. If someone attempts to lure you into
playground antics - ignore them. They cannot see you, they do not know you,
it is unlikely you will ever meet - don't make their point for them. Stay
on-topic, don't try to embellish with side ideas and what most would
consider 3rd rate conspiracy theories (at best.)

So - you are having trouble installing the update related to KB982331?

The article itself:
MS10-038: Description of the security update for the 2007 Office system and
the Office Compatibility Pack: June 8, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982331

Has a couple of things that might assist you right out of the box. First
thing is a section titled, "How to obtain help and support for this security
update." It says the following:

"For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support website:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge email support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft website:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552"

Second, it has a list of prerequisites you should have installed (at least
one of the following actually):
a.. 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
a.. 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)
a.. Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)
a.. Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1)

So then there is the questions of what operating system you have, what
service pack it is at, is it 32-bit or 64-bit and which of the products that
this update applies to do you have installed:
a.. Microsoft Office Excel 2007
a.. Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (Home and Student version)
a.. Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007
File Formats

Also - is there any error in your event log and/or on-screen?

Have you attempted to manually install the update appropriate for your
system?

Either use those questions to deduce your own solution or answer the
questions to provide insight into your actual problem so others might not
only be inclined to assist you, but actually have the information they would
possibly need to start to do so.

Hope that helps.

--
Shenan Stanley