.Net

cjg

.Net
Windows XP SP3 -- automatic updates enabled.
I have a version of McAfee that was installed when I bought the computer.

I would like to remove .net 1.1 from this computer.
In add/remove, it shows that program.

When I try to uninstall it, it says "Another installation is in progress."

The history of my problem is:
1) Saw the updates icon on the taskbar. When I started the update process,
McAfee popped up and said "Suspicious script detected." Sadly, I lost the
note I made with whatever details were provided. I only remember it said
something about trying to create a text file. Don't remember if it said .txt.
I allowed it to stop the script.

2) The update process said 'An update failed to install' and identified it
as .net1.1 (KB979906). I clicked Cancel, making the rash assumption that
this would cancel the update. The update icon persisted on my task bar, so I
started updates again, guessing that there were some other updates. I did
this several times, resulting in errors 643 (once), 80242007 once, and 652
(five times). Each time, I hit the Cancel button.

3) Tried to install another program (opera) and got the "Another
installation in progress" message.

4) Downloaded some other MS updates and installed without problems.

5) Found this forum by checking out error 652 and read all the message re
garding .net.

6) Found .net 1.1 in the Add/Remove list. Since I have no known use for
it, I tried to uninstall it. It said "Another installation in progress."

I only run IE8, Google Chrome (rarely), Google Earth, Visual Studio
(writing VB6 programs just for fun) and "Progammer's File Editor" on this
machine.

Re: .Net
> I would like to remove .net 1.1 from this computer.

Why?

=> OPTION A: For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700)
in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979906).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

=> OPTION B: First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update
will install after doing so:

How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

If no joy, see...

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

[As of this post, KB318785 hasn't been revised since November 2008 so you
may not find the pertinent information in it. YMMV]

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

Download links for .NET Framework Cleanup Tool:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive...eanup_tool.zip

http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/..._5F00_tool.zip

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.