Upgrade windows 7

Steven Tan

Upgrade windows 7
Hi,
Im using windows XP with DELL Dimention 8300.Think of upgrade to windows 7.
I use MS Upgrade Advisor to check on my system and reported that I have a
driver problem.Now Im using NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X graphic.Anyone
please assist to provide windows 7 compatible drible for this graphic.

Thank you and Regards,
Steven
Jerry

Re: Upgrade windows 7
The only place to get an updated driver is from Dell or nVidia.

"Steven Tan" <stevenlin_99@hotmail.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Im using windows XP with DELL Dimention 8300.Think of upgrade to windows
> 7.
> I use MS Upgrade Advisor to check on my system and reported that I have a
> driver problem.Now Im using NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
> graphic.Anyone
> please assist to provide windows 7 compatible drible for this graphic.
>
> Thank you and Regards,
> Steven

Shenan Stanley

Re: Upgrade windows 7
Steven Tan wrote:
> Im using windows XP with DELL Dimention 8300.Think of upgrade to
> windows 7. I use MS Upgrade Advisor to check on my system and
> reported that I have a driver problem.Now Im using NVIDIA GeForce4
> MX 440 with AGP8X graphic.Anyone please assist to provide
> windows 7 compatible drible for this graphic.

What are the specs on your desktop?

Given what I see here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/sm/specs.htm
... and just the picture that dells me the 'time frame' it falls in by
design of the case...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/M2972A02.pdf

I would not recommend Windows 7 on that computer. Even if you have 4GB
memory - I don't think you will like the performance in comparison to a good
and clean Windows XP installation.

Generally - unless you have Core2Duo, 2GB+ memory and 128+MB video memory
(not shared) - I wouldn't suggest Windows 7 as an upgrade option on an older
computer.

Dell only provides drivers for that system for Windows XP:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...atid=&imp id=

nVidia only shows drivers for Windows XP and prior for that old of a
chipset.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
(GeForce, GeForce 4 MX Series...)

My suggestion is a resounding, "Do NOT upgrade to Windows 7 on that machine.
Find some refurbished Core2Duo Intel system for a few hundred dollars that
comes with Windows 7 Home Premium or something."

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Upgrade windows 7
Windows Update has nothing to do with upgrading Windows. Please post any
future questions about upgrading in this forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...nstall/threads