XP Service Pack 1 - How to Upgrade to Service Pack 3 (Dial Up)

Silver Surfer Silk

XP Service Pack 1 - How to Upgrade to Service Pack 3 (Dial Up)
Help!

I'm still using Dial-Up. I want to use a Mobile Broadband Dongle. I
understand with XP I need to be using Service Pack 2 (or Service Pack 3). I
am only using Service Pack 1.

I tried to order a CD to update to Service Pack 2 but it only lets me order
Service Pack 3. It specifies that to upgrade to SP3 you already need to be
running SP1a or SP2.

So I looked at upgrading to SP1a but the download says it is 'not
recommended if you already running SP1'.

So; how to I get a CD to upgrade to SP2 - or should I download the SP1a
update and proceed with the SP3 CD order?

Please help. It is a nightmare using dial-up in 2010......

Thanks :-)
Shenan Stanley

Re: XP Service Pack 1 - How to Upgrade to Service Pack 3 (Dial Up)
Silver Surfer Silk wrote:
> I'm still using Dial-Up. I want to use a Mobile Broadband Dongle. I
> understand with XP I need to be using Service Pack 2 (or Service Pack 3).
> am only using Service Pack 1.
>
> I tried to order a CD to update to Service Pack 2 but it only lets me
> order
> Service Pack 3. It specifies that to upgrade to SP3 you already need to
> be
> running SP1a or SP2.
>
> So I looked at upgrading to SP1a but the download says it is 'not
> recommended if you already running SP1'.
>
> So; how to I get a CD to upgrade to SP2 - or should I download the SP1a
> update and proceed with the SP3 CD order?
>
> Please help. It is a nightmare using dial-up in 2010......
>
> Thanks :-)

Verify you are running SP1 and not SP1a (it would be b\izarre, but not
without reason) that you are running SP1)...

If you don't know how to get that information - two things...

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
(No "RUN", press the WindowsKey+R at the same time.)
winver
--> Click OK.

That will give you (picture at top) the full name of the operating system.
That will give you (in the test) the Service Pack you have installed.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit
version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: XP Service Pack 1 - How to Upgrade to Service Pack 3 (Dial Up)
If you're still running WinXP SP1, you can't possibly have a functional
anti-virus application installed. See...

Cleaning a Compromised System
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc700813.aspx

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Silver Surfer Silk wrote:
> Help!
>
> I'm still using Dial-Up. I want to use a Mobile Broadband Dongle. I
> understand with XP I need to be using Service Pack 2 (or Service Pack 3).
> am only using Service Pack 1.
>
> I tried to order a CD to update to Service Pack 2 but it only lets me
> order
> Service Pack 3. It specifies that to upgrade to SP3 you already need to
> be
> running SP1a or SP2.
>
> So I looked at upgrading to SP1a but the download says it is 'not
> recommended if you already running SP1'.
>
> So; how to I get a CD to upgrade to SP2 - or should I download the SP1a
> update and proceed with the SP3 CD order?
>
> Please help. It is a nightmare using dial-up in 2010......
>
> Thanks :-)

John K.Eason

Re: XP Service Pack 1 - How to Upgrade to Service Pack 3 (Dial Up)
In article <uT4FilcDLHA.3880@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, PABearMVP@gmail.com (PA Bear
[MS MVP]) wrote:

> If you're still running WinXP SP1, you can't possibly have a
> functional anti-virus application installed.

Erm... I'm still running one PC under W95* here (albeit only accessing one known
safe website and with no email). Avast (v4) still works fine on that and updates
automatically, so I imagine will still work under XP SP1.
*(Need it to access a spe******ed very old legacy hardware card.)

Regards
John (john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk) Remove the obvious to reply...