PowerPoint security update KB982158

retread

PowerPoint security update KB982158
After the passle of updates from Microsoft the other day, there remains one
that will not install. It reports installed, so I get no error code, but
after a few minutes, it asks to be installed again. I had this happen before
about a year ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Any help out there?
--
retread: Just another senior getting re-capped
retread

RE: PowerPoint security update KB982158
I spoke too soon. The blasted thing has come back from the grave.... How can
I kill it?
--

"retread" wrote:

> Nevermind... just had a senior moment. I remember now.... I deselected
> AutoUpdate, shut down, restarted and then manually installed the update, then
> reset Autoupdate to ON. Seems to have solved the problem.... at least
> Autoupdate doesn't keep wanting to install it endlessly. I sure wish
> Microsoft Update would fix this bug.
> --
> retread: Just another senior getting re-capped
>

> "retread" wrote:
>
> > After the passle of updates from Microsoft the other day, there remains one
> > that will not install. It reports installed, so I get no error code, but
> > after a few minutes, it asks to be installed again. I had this happen before
> > about a year ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Any help out there?
> > --
> > retread: Just another senior getting re-capped

retread

RE: PowerPoint security update KB982158
It looks like I am not alone.... a lot of people seem to be having the same
issue, but no one has posted a solution, not to mention anyone responding to
my post at all (but me )

I don't think it matters, but my system is WinXP Pro sp3 and Office 2007
Enterprise. I have been getting all updates auto installed without a hitch
for the past year until this one. Of about 10 updates in this last major
download, all have installed properly except this one. Any help at all would
be appreciated.
--

"retread" wrote:

> I spoke too soon. The blasted thing has come back from the grave.... How can
> I kill it?
> --
> retread: Just another senior getting re-capped
>

> "retread" wrote:
>
> > Nevermind... just had a senior moment. I remember now.... I deselected
> > AutoUpdate, shut down, restarted and then manually installed the update, then
> > reset Autoupdate to ON. Seems to have solved the problem.... at least
> > Autoupdate doesn't keep wanting to install it endlessly. I sure wish
> > Microsoft Update would fix this bug.
> > --
> > retread: Just another senior getting re-capped
> >

> > "retread" wrote:
> >
> > > After the passle of updates from Microsoft the other day, there remains one
> > > that will not install. It reports installed, so I get no error code, but
> > > after a few minutes, it asks to be installed again. I had this happen before
> > > about a year ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Any help out there?
> > > --
> > > retread: Just another senior getting re-capped

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-06-19 4:49 a.m., retread wrote:

> It looks like I am not alone.... a lot of people seem to be having the same
> issue, but no one has posted a solution, not to mention anyone responding to
> my post at all (but me )
>
> I don't think it matters, but my system is WinXP Pro sp3 and Office 2007
> Enterprise. I have been getting all updates auto installed without a hitch
> for the past year until this one. Of about 10 updates in this last major
> download, all have installed properly except this one. Any help at all would
> be appreciated.

I suggest you start by manually downloading the update from the Microsoft
Download Center. Reboot to safe mode to install the downloaded update. Reboot
back to normal mode, then visit the Microsoft Update web site and see if it
still thinks the update is needed.

Post back if this doesn't help.

Harry.

--