Like many of you, I have been grappling with unsuccessful .NET Framework
updates. Hopefully, this post might help you. I am operating from Windows XP
Home Edition SP3 - 32bit. What I did...
From Control Panel - Add And Remove Programs, I removed .NET Framework 1.1
(it had SP1 on top) NOTE: Add and Remove Programs would NOT allow me to
remove .NET 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP3. I DID NOT USE THE WINDOWS UNINSTALL CLEAN UP
UTILITY. I attempted to uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 and it allowed me to do so.
The program asked if I wanted to Uninstall or Repair the program. I SELECTED
Then, I downloaded and installed .NET Framework 1.1 successfully. Then
downloaded .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (on top) successfully.
It APPEARS that there is a .dll in this package which controls any and all
..NET updates. (I'm sorry but I did not write this program name down - but
you will see it upon installation.) The most gracious Guru's here will
identify the file for you. (I mean that genuinely.
I think my file might have become corrupted during a defragmentation or
something. REBOOT! Anyway, on your attempt to download and install the
latest updates, I suggest you begin with the oldest KB (i.e. KB982168) then
My troubles manifested themselves here and again failed on KB979906 and
KB979909. DO THESE ONE AT A TIME.
Note: Make sure that the 'Blue' bar at the top of your download screen
remains BLUE! If it turns GREY, immediately click on it and make it blue
again. There seems to be some problem with the install becoming 'suspended'.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! All the best! Good luck!