Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?

sherlockomes

Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
Can anyone tell me if this should be installed as the next step up from .NET
3.5 SP1 . I have managed to download and install it after 3 hours of
persistent installation errors wherby it wouldn't install client profile part
of main web installation programme.I managed to resolve by downloading .NET 4
client profile programme separately from the .NET Framework 4 (standalone
installer).
Now that i have installed it i am wondering if it is necessary or is it
still in the development stage ie a beta version and should i leave it now
that it is installed? Any info /advice.... cheers S..omes
Shenan Stanley

Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
sherlockomes wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if this should be installed as the next step up
> from .NET
> 3.5 SP1 . I have managed to download and install it after 3 hours of
> persistent installation errors wherby it wouldn't install client
> profile part of main web installation programme.I managed to
> resolve by downloading .NET 4 client profile programme separately
> from the .NET Framework 4 (standalone installer).
> Now that i have installed it i am wondering if it is necessary or
> is it still in the development stage ie a beta version and should i
> leave it now that it is installed? Any info /advice.... cheers
> S..omes

Did you _need_ .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5?

What are *you* using them for?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
Do I need still need older versions of the .NET Framework on my system after
installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 [and/or .NET Framework 4.0]?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...0/9557946.aspx

sherlockomes wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if this should be installed as the next step up from
> .NET
> 3.5 SP1 . I have managed to download and install it after 3 hours of
> persistent installation errors wherby it wouldn't install client profile
> part of main web installation programme.I managed to resolve by
> downloading
> .NET 4 client profile programme separately from the .NET Framework 4
> (standalone installer).
> Now that i have installed it i am wondering if it is necessary or is it
> still in the development stage ie a beta version and should i leave it now
> that it is installed? Any info /advice.... cheers S..omes

sherlockomes

Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
To be honest *i* didn't even know *i* used them...I thought i was more of a
third party in that respect.I use the keyboard and watch the screen and let
the operating system *use * them if that is what it has to do to get certain
applications working etc. All i know is that they are an ever increasing
nightmare to install and am happy just to get them showing up as successful
updates.
I take it from your rather patronising and unhelpful reply that this is the
most up to date and necessary download in the .NET Framework saga ? cheers!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> sherlockomes wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me if this should be installed as the next step up
> > from .NET
> > 3.5 SP1 . I have managed to download and install it after 3 hours of
> > persistent installation errors wherby it wouldn't install client
> > profile part of main web installation programme.I managed to
> > resolve by downloading .NET 4 client profile programme separately
> > from the .NET Framework 4 (standalone installer).
> > Now that i have installed it i am wondering if it is necessary or
> > is it still in the development stage ie a beta version and should i
> > leave it now that it is installed? Any info /advice.... cheers
> > S..omes

> Did you _need_ .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5?
>
> What are *you* using them for?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .

Shenan Stanley

Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
sherlockomes wrote:
> To be honest *i* didn't even know *i* used them...I thought i was
> more of a third party in that respect.I use the keyboard and watch
> the screen and let the operating system *use * them if that is what
> it has to do to get certain applications working etc. All i know is
> that they are an ever increasing nightmare to install and am happy
> just to get them showing up as successful updates.
> I take it from your rather patronising and unhelpful reply that
> this is the most up to date and necessary download in the .NET
> Framework saga ? cheers!

Wow.

So now it is patronizing having someone self-reflect to engage in active
thought and figure out what they are doing/what their needs are in order to
assist them (as they asked) in making a decision about something that in the
end only affects them?

Interesting you took my simple question as patronizing instead of the help
it was intended as. I guess it reflects the way people think now.

By the way - anything on your computer is being used by you. Whether you
want to think of it that way or not - without you having some purpose for
it - you wouldn't have the computer or the many things on it. While there
may be inactive programs installed on your computer and even active ones you
do not understand fully - they are there because you chose to use something
on the computer (the OS came with it when it was installed, you installed a
video card driver that utilized the .NET Framework, etc.) and they ended up
there. Whether they stick around on the computer is also up to you.

That is *not* being patronizing, nor is the *stars* around words that need
to be emphasized. That is just stating things that if thought about might
help one answer their own question. Unformtunately - so many people these
days see anything other than the 'quick and direct answer' as worthless,
something they did not ask for or... patronizing.

*shrug*

Teach a man to fish and all that.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

kornfed5150 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
I just installed Net Framework 4 client profile on my computer and I'm about to uninstall it. It was an OPTIONAL Windows Update for *me*. lol.
I'm a little lost when it comes to this stuff, too. From what I can gather, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 sp1 need each other to function correctly, but you can uninstall 1.0 and 1.1 and be ok. There may be certain programs that need 1.0 or 1.1. So, if you try to open a program and you get an error message regarding the Net Framework, you can always reinstall it. Personally, I'm not going to install 4 until a program does it for me or it comes up as an IMPORTANT Windows update. I'm sorry some people are jerks and complain for 4 paragraphs instead of getting to the point. I hope this actually helped a little. Sorry if it didn't.

PickleFingers is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed5150 View Post
I just installed Net Framework 4 client profile on my computer and I'm about to uninstall it. It was an OPTIONAL Windows Update for *me*. lol.
I'm a little lost when it comes to this stuff, too. From what I can gather, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 sp1 need each other to function correctly, but you can uninstall 1.0 and 1.1 and be ok. There may be certain programs that need 1.0 or 1.1. So, if you try to open a program and you get an error message regarding the Net Framework, you can always reinstall it. Personally, I'm not going to install 4 until a program does it for me or it comes up as an IMPORTANT Windows update. I'm sorry some people are jerks and complain for 4 paragraphs instead of getting to the point. I hope this actually helped a little. Sorry if it didn't.
At least you tried, Kornfed...Aaaand ended up being WAY more helpful than the supposed expert (Shenan Stanley)! When looking for something similar, I found your reply much more helpful (and refreshing) as you at least tried to provide an answer, regardless of your expertise or know-how; rather than Stanley's pedantic and didactic 'virtual smirk' at the original inquirer.

Kornfed = +2
Sherlockomes = +1
stanley = 0

Shenan Stanley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
1 year, 6 months, 29 days later?

You're quick.

bat out of hell is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenan Stanley View Post
1 year, 6 months, 29 days later?

You're quick.
I must agree with the need for an attitude adjustment on your part.
The link to "How to Ask Questions" includes "How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way", which you should read before jumping on comments here.
Scores of Google links refer to sites using exactly the same language, i.e. "Do I need .NET Framework 4.0" etc. without a single respondent taking petty shots at the poster.
Obviously the question more precisely is, "Does my computer configuration require .NET Framework of a particular release in order to function or run other programs?"
It is hardly a trivial question, since noone dares to say for certain, and since Microsoft desires to cram updates whether or not one even has any program that depends on .NET at all.
The fact that this thread is still open, and read by others like myself, who aren't privileged enough to own a time machine, means that your snide dismissive attitude may have been written 1 year, 6 months, 29 days ago, plus, it persists and shall continue to offer no meaningful advice well into the future.
Good thing you don't work a suicide prevention hotline.

Shenan Stanley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Do i need .NET Framework 4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat out of hell View Post
[...]
You make a large assumption there. Call anytime you like. *grin*

I don't see anything wrong with my original response so long ago when the newsgroup in question actually existed and this 'forum' replicated those posts because their traffic wasn't enough.

It is good advice. You may or may not need some random version of the .NET framework and only you and your software vendors (for a specific version of said software no less) will be able to tell if *you* need it. It's a framework (thus the name) that is available to those coding things for Windows to use in order to better integrate their product into Windows. However, at least in the past, there was no real backwards compatibility. So if you have something written for .NET Framework 1.1 and something written for .NET Framework 2.0 and something written for .NET Framework 3.0 and somehting written for .NET Framework 4.0 - you may need all of those versions installed. If you do not have such products installed - then you may not need all of those.

Sure - I could have expanded. Did somewhat. But it all comes down to what do *you* use .NET Framework for - if anything? And the only way to find out is list the applications and even control software (the video card control software for some vendors sometimes uses .NET Framework stuff) out and research each of them (per specific version) to discover what the requirements are.