Microsoft .net Framework update

Bill

Microsoft .net Framework update
For the last two days the computer has been trying to add a new update
"Mircosoft .NET Framwork 1.1 SP1" on my computer. Currently I have SP3
loaded and working with Windows XP professional. It fails on the download,
fails on a install from re-start and fails from a direct internet install
ERROR Ox643. What solutions do you have?
Peter Foldes

Re: Microsoft .net Framework update
Bill

See and try the following. If issue still persists post back
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...error-80070643
--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the last two days the computer has been trying to add a new update
> "Mircosoft .NET Framwork 1.1 SP1" on my computer. Currently I have SP3
> loaded and working with Windows XP professional. It fails on the download,
> fails on a install from re-start and fails from a direct internet install
> ERROR Ox643. What solutions do you have?

Shenan Stanley

Bill wrote:
> For the last two days the computer has been trying to add a new
> update "Mircosoft .NET Framwork 1.1 SP1" on my computer. Currently
> I have SP3 loaded and working with Windows XP professional. It
> fails on the download, fails on a install from re-start and fails
> from a direct internet install ERROR Ox643. What solutions do you
> have?

You mean "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1" I assume. ;-) Are you sure on
what is being installed? Is there an associated KB###### to go with the
title of what is being attempted?

This is not exactly *new* - it has been out there for several years
(8/30/2004) - so the first question I have is whether your Windows XP
Professional (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 system was recently rebuilt from
scratch (clean install)?

How to obtain Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885055

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...B-A83353618B38

If you use the second web link above to download and *save* the service pack
and then you follow these instructions:

This may seem like overkill - but you may have other underlying problems.
If you do all of the following - a few things should be more certain than
they were before you started... Like you are unlikely to have any
major/known malware on your system, your Windows Update components will be
the latest versions and working properly, your hard disk drive should be
free of unknown problems and organized for best performance and describing
your issue should become easier - if it even still exists after all this.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

*Run* this:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9666880
Following the wizard.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing
should be exact.)

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download the latest version of the Windows Update
agent from here (x86):
.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving
it to the root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer windows and other
applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT -->
Select "I agree" and click on NEXT --> When it
finishes installing, click on "Finish"...

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked,
select "RUN", both times. Check the "I agree" box and
click on "Next". Check the box for "Run aggressive
options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let it
finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.
Close/exit.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your
system drive (C...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on
your system drive (C...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select
to do a CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while
at these web pages - first press and hold down the
CTRL key while you click on it. You can release the
CTRL key after clicking each time.

Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high
priority updates (deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no
more than 3-5 at a time. Rebooting as needed.

The Optional Software updates are generally safe
- although I recommend against the
"Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live"
ones or "Windows Live" ones for now. I would
completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.
Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know.

--
Shenan Stanley