KB982331 getting errors

VanMan

KB982331 getting errors
Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office 2007,
it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've been
direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of updates
had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed. It's
KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On my
desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my laptop.
Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update being
installed even though Windows itself says it is.

Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to be
installed from here on out or fix this error?
pattycake

RE: KB982331 getting errors
I'm having the same problem. Anyone who can help, please?

"VanMan" wrote:

> Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office 2007,
> it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've been
> direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of updates
> had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed. It's
> KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On my
> desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my laptop.
> Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update being
> installed even though Windows itself says it is.
>
> Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to be
> installed from here on out or fix this error?

mbear5812

RE: KB982331 getting errors
I've been trying to figure this one out myself. Been trying and trying to get
it to work. It just keeps stopping in the middle of the install. I always go
directly to the download site for office updates because you have to check
mark the agreement. This one is having a major problem tho. I'm on VISTA
Would someone from Microsoft please FIX THIS.

"pattycake" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. Anyone who can help, please?
>

> "VanMan" wrote:
>
> > Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office 2007,
> > it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've been
> > direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of updates
> > had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed. It's
> > KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On my
> > desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my laptop.
> > Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update being
> > installed even though Windows itself says it is.
> >
> > Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to be
> > installed from here on out or fix this error?

Bickford Schmeckler

Re: KB982331 getting errors
This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup, so MS isn't going to see it.

"mbear5812" <mbear5812@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:
: I've been trying to figure this one out myself. Been trying and trying to
get
: it to work. It just keeps stopping in the middle of the install. I always
go
: directly to the download site for office updates because you have to check
: mark the agreement. This one is having a major problem tho. I'm on VISTA
: Would someone from Microsoft please FIX THIS.
:
: "pattycake" wrote:
:
: > I'm having the same problem. Anyone who can help, please?
: >
: >
: > "VanMan" wrote:
: >
: > > Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office
2007,
: > > it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've
been
: > > direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of
updates
: > > had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed.
It's
: > > KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On
my
: > > desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my
laptop.
: > > Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update
being
: > > installed even though Windows itself says it is.
: > >
: > > Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to
be
: > > installed from here on out or fix this error?

Bry914 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: KB982331 getting errors
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office 2007,
it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've been
direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of updates
had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed. It's
KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On my
desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my laptop.
Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update being
installed even though Windows itself says it is.

Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to be
installed from here on out or fix this error?

My weird solution:

Disconnect from internet and do autoinstall from windows update in control panel and not manual update.

I always have problems with updates and have to manually do about half. Nothing was working for me on this one: manual install (running and saving to desktop then install), disconnect and manual installs, turn off UAC and manual install. However disconnect and autoupdate worked AND THAT NEVER WORKS for me.

GOODLUCK!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bry914 For This Useful Post:

Location: Florida
cyberich is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB982331 getting errors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry914 View Post
My weird solution:

Disconnect from internet and do autoinstall from windows update in control panel and not manual update.

I always have problems with updates and have to manually do about half. Nothing was working for me on this one: manual install (running and saving to desktop then install), disconnect and manual installs, turn off UAC and manual install. However disconnect and autoupdate worked AND THAT NEVER WORKS for me.

GOODLUCK!
Thanks Bry914. After trying all the same attempts that you did, your "weird solution" was the ONE that worked for me.
captfbgnet

Re: KB982331 getting errors;MS Office installation errors
From Microsoft answers:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-a2880cd7232b